Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can I change the aspect ratio of my desktop?

Old 11-24-06, 09:27 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 7,308
Can I change the aspect ratio of my desktop?

OK, so I finally got myself a new TV. I've finally gone HD. Hooray for me! Anyway, I noticed that my TV has a serial port to hook up a computer to use your TV as a monitor.

So, I set up a wireless Internet connection and have moved my computer into the living area. Now I can lounge on my couch and surf the Web -- the height of laziness for me.

In trying to cut to the chase and make this a little shorter, I'm very happy with everything except that now, if I use the full TV screen, everything looks stretched to fill the screen. Is there some setting where I can change the aspect ratio so that I can utilize the full TV screen and not have this annoying stretch effect?

I'm sure it's something very simple that I just overlooked, but it's driving me crazy.

Thanks so much for any help.
clckworang is offline  
Old 11-24-06, 10:16 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Stuck doing T.P.S. repots for Lumbergh!!!!
Posts: 2,483
Originally Posted by clckworang
OK, so I finally got myself a new TV. I've finally gone HD. Hooray for me! Anyway, I noticed that my TV has a serial port to hook up a computer to use your TV as a monitor.

So, I set up a wireless Internet connection and have moved my computer into the living area. Now I can lounge on my couch and surf the Web -- the height of laziness for me.

In trying to cut to the chase and make this a little shorter, I'm very happy with everything except that now, if I use the full TV screen, everything looks stretched to fill the screen. Is there some setting where I can change the aspect ratio so that I can utilize the full TV screen and not have this annoying stretch effect?

I'm sure it's something very simple that I just overlooked, but it's driving me crazy.

Thanks so much for any help.
You will first need to go to the TV manufacture and see if they have drivers for Windows. If they do you are in business and if not you can check and see if your video card manufacture has them.

On a second note...what type of TV do you have (LCD, Plasma, DLP, or RP)? It is also possible that your video card will not support the resolution you are trying to display.
TheKobra is offline  
Old 11-24-06, 10:18 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
check your aspect ratio on the tv. it's probably set to 4:3 or wide or something.

it could also be on the desktop (right click, properties, settings) and you can adjust the resolution.
dick_grayson is offline  
Old 11-24-06, 10:42 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
check your aspect ratio on the tv. it's probably set to 4:3 or wide or something.

it could also be on the desktop (right click, properties, settings) and you can adjust the resolution.
My guess is the second one. You probably just need to change the resolution to match your TV.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 11-25-06, 12:40 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 7,308
Originally Posted by TheKobra
You will first need to go to the TV manufacture and see if they have drivers for Windows. If they do you are in business and if not you can check and see if your video card manufacture has them.

On a second note...what type of TV do you have (LCD, Plasma, DLP, or RP)? It is also possible that your video card will not support the resolution you are trying to display.
I have a Samsung DLP TV. Not sure about any of the video card stuff. To be honest, a lot of the hardware talk goes over my head.


Originally Posted by dick_grayson
check your aspect ratio on the tv. it's probably set to 4:3 or wide or something.

it could also be on the desktop (right click, properties, settings) and you can adjust the resolution.
The ratio is set to wide screen. That's what I'm hoping to get going. I'd like to be able to utilize the full screen rather than going to the 4:3. I guess I'm not sure what I should set the resolution to. I know, I'm hopeless.
clckworang is offline  
Old 11-25-06, 05:08 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 7,308
Well, I managed to tweak the resolution and changed the aspect ratio. For some reason, the toolbar is all the way at the bottom of the screen almost completely out of view. I guess there's a little bit more fine-tuning that needs to be done, but for the most part, it looks like I got things taken care of.
clckworang is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.