Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question re: wireless network. Your help would be appreciated.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-24-06, 06:50 PM

My computer knowledge is rather limited, so this may be a stupid question.

My wife and I have a desktop computer. Yesterday we were given a "hand me down" laptop that we want to wipe clean and use solely for wireless internet access around the house.

I know that I need a wireless router and a wireless card for the laptop.

However, in addition to wireless web surfing, we'd also like to be able to print wirelessly from the laptop to the printer that's connected to our desktop. Yet, I cannot seem to figure out if this is possible.

We were looking at the D-Link DI-624 wireless router. Would this allow us to do what we want re: the printing?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll give you the basics, but it may vary depending on which version of windows you are using for both computers.

First you need to make sure that both computers have the same network (Work group) name. Set up the Workgroup name in XP by right clicking on My Computer and selecting the Computer Name Tab. With Windows 98, I believe you go under the Network settings in Control Panel. Its been a while, so I'm not too sure.

You will need to enable sharing with the printer that is connected to your desktop. Go to the printer settings (found under control panel). Right click on the printer, select sharing. Select "enable sharing."

On the laptop, go to the printer setting. Select Add a printer. Select Add a network prnter. Your shared printer should show up.

Also, the desktop computer will have to be on for the laptop to be able to print.
Old 11-24-06, 09:26 PM

Thanks Palaver.

A quick follow-up question .... will the instructions you gave work with the router I mentioned above? In other words, will it only work with some routers, or are they all the same?

Thanks!!
Old 11-24-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That shouldn't matter. If both computers can access the network, then you should be okay. Not to say you can't run into a weird problem, but cross that bridge if you come to it.
Old 11-24-06, 11:09 PM

Ok, thanks.