Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What's more reliable CD's or Flash Drives?

Old 11-24-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's more reliable CD's or Flash Drives?

And why do I ask? Because I've thought about it for a long while and I'm almost to the point where I want to throw all my music onto my flash drive and sell all my CD's - I'm mainly doing this because I guess I'm finally tuning into the whole MP3 swing of things and I'm sick of how much space my cd's take up.

I have a large flash drive (and will prob have to get another with more storage) and only rip to 128kbps - I also don't notice any difference in sound quality from the CD to an MP3 at 128kbps so no big deal there.

I remember before saying I would always buy the disc but it just seems so pointless now because I'm always making my own mix cd's anyway and with my new computer having light scribe - it makes even more convenient having all tracks listed on the face of a CDR.

I've accidentally ran my flash drive through the washer (and dryer) twice already and it keeps on ticking - are they more durable/reliable than cd's though? I know I would have to look out for internal failures on the jump drive but I upgrade every 2 to 3 years anyway so I don't think it's that big of a deal.
Old 11-24-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Unfortunately, no one knows. Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-06, 09:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The thought of getting rid of my cd's in favor of 128k mp3s (or any bitrate*) on a flash drive is nauseating, but if it works for you then go for it. That being said, I've burned thousands of cd's since 1996 and have yet to have a single disc go bad. I'm not sure flash drives as we know them have a proven enough track record yet. If you decide the flash drive route, I'd suggest keeping a CD or DVD backup of your music just in case.

(*I have a full JBL M-Pro club PA with Crown/Rane Mojo gear in my house and an mp3 of any bitrate is kind of like comparing a VCD camcorder boot of a movie to the DVD)
Old 11-24-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Flash drives has about a 100,000 write to its life. Not saying it will not die before 100k write or after 100k write. I found this out from searching the net on making a bootable XP in a flash drive. Apparently, Windows writes to the drive often enough that the drive will eventually fail.