Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Pentium D - Worth it to Upgrade?

Old 11-24-06, 09:01 AM

Pentium D - Worth it to Upgrade?

I have a Dell XPS400 that is about a little over a year old. It hase a 3ghz Pentium D, 2GB Ram, Raid 0 HDDs, and a 7000 Series (higher-end) Nvidia card.

Once Vista comes out, would it be worth my while to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz?

(If so, can I just swap processors?)

Should I just do an upgrade to an 8000 Nvidia card?

I am trying to increase my gaming performace to be able to run the latest games with all options, silky smooth...

(I have yet to try Oblivion on my rig because I hear I will have trouble unless I crank down the options.)
Old 11-24-06, 11:11 AM
Suspended

Vista will run just fine with what you have. And you don't need an 8800 for the latest games--unless you're thinking games released 6 months to a year from now, and then the 8800 will be selling for half the current price anyway.

A 7900 GTX (if you can find one) or a 7950GT which has overclock capability to 650MHZ and 1.6GHz memory clock (which is then basically a stock GTX).

I would load up on memory. Fill ALL THOSE SLOTS with 2GB modules if your board supports it. If not, then fill it with 1GB modules.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-24-06 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-24-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I would load up on memory. Fill ALL THOSE SLOTS with 2GB modules if your board supports it. If not, then fill it with 1GB modules.
No, don't do this. Every reputable test I've ever read about says that Windows doesn't get much benefit above 2GB. Games certainly won't. Unless you have 800 bucks just lying around, that is- then go nuts.
Old 11-24-06, 01:34 PM
Suspended

Well, then we have conflicting reputable tests. I know guys loading up their boards with 16GB, 32GB, and their boards are screaming fast. Why? Because the RAM acts as the hard drive now because all stored memory is going to the RAM versus the hard drive and "virtual memory".

So, I think you mean 2GB Per-Process memory limit on Windows.
Old 11-24-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
No, don't do this. Every reputable test I've ever read about says that Windows doesn't get much benefit above 2GB. Games certainly won't. Unless you have 800 bucks just lying around, that is- then go nuts.
you must either be thinking old versions of windows or old hardware where the chipset and the bios didn't perform well with more than 2GB
Old 11-24-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Well, then we have conflicting reputable tests. I know guys loading up their boards with 16GB, 32GB, and their boards are screaming fast. Why? Because the RAM acts as the hard drive now because all stored memory is going to the RAM versus the hard drive and "virtual memory".

So, I think you mean 2GB Per-Process memory limit on Windows.
From a cost-benefit standpoint, getting a Core 2 Duo is infinitely better then 16 or 32 GB of RAM. Or 8 GB of RAM. And probably even 4 GB of RAM. Besides, isn't 32 bit Windows limited to 4 GB of RAM anyway?

A faster video card, like a 7950 or a second video card for SLI would be better solutions too for gaming.

Last edited by fumanstan; 11-24-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-24-06, 02:29 PM
Suspended

Well, yeah, I was just giving an example to TB. Increasing your RAM from 2GB to just 4GB would be fine, along with a 7950GT. Both upgrades would be about the same as a 8800GTX. I think.
Old 11-24-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i remember now, since winxp doesn't have /3gb going to 4GB means windows grabs 2GB no matter how little resources it actually uses leaving only 2GB for apps. XP only uses around 300MB of RAM so you would have 1.7GB wasted.