Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video Card Crashes on... video?

Old 11-22-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Video Card Crashes on... video?

I've already posed this question at Anandtech, but I purchased a new PNY 7900gs card about two weeks ago and installed it on my new computer - which has an aBit nf-m2 board with GeForce 6150 intergrated graphics on it. After I installed the new drivers, everything was running very smoothly until I started viewing some video files. After a few minutes, DVD's, avi, some mpegs, and .mp4 videos crash the system entirely, necessitating a reboot. I uninstalled all of the NVidia drivers (video and motherboard), used a driver cleaning program to get rid of everything, reinstalled the video first, then the motherboard. Same problem. I de-installed every video codec and install the CCCp codec pack - same problem. I've tried four different versions of NVidia drivers, and the same problem occurs. Oddly, it will play .wmv files without rebooting. I tried de-installing Windows Media Player, but that didn't help either.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to prevent the hassle of having to exchange this card for another one (or reinstalling Windows XP - again), so any and all help would be appreciated if possible.
Old 11-22-06, 01:36 PM
X
Administrator

Do you have a powerful enough power supply for that card?
Old 11-22-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Either that or it could be heat related problem.
Old 11-22-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by X
Do you have a powerful enough power supply for that card?
Yeah, I've got a 450w Cooler Master. Every calculator and person I've asked about that has said that should be enough.

Originally Posted by eedoon
Either that or it could be heat related problem.
That's one fear I've had also. Everytime I run a game - I've been playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II with the video settings turned up all the way on 1024x768 resolution - it rarely hiccups. Temp wise, I've had it only as high as 55 degrees C, and I've never overclocked anything in this system. I have an Antec Lanboy case, but the size of the vid card is so long that I had to rearrange the hard drive cage in order to fit it in there. I've got the cooling set up so that it blows in cold air from the back and blows the warmer air out of the front of the case.

I've been debating on getting a new case anyways - perhaps I could use this as an excuse. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Last edited by DGibFen; 11-22-06 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-22-06, 02:58 PM
X
Administrator

This case is gonna be $10 after rebate between tomorrow and the 26th.
Old 11-22-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alright... I deinstalled the CCCp codec pack, installed the k-lite pack. The biggest bug catcher has been mp4 files, as they crashed the system within seconds. Loaded up one - and 5 seconds later, boom. Messed around a bit more, switched the refresh rate from 60 to 75mhz - no dice. I figured I'd try one last thing - deinstalling QT Alternative, cleaning out the registry with CCleaner (which took several tries), and then reinstalling Quicktime.

Looks like that might have been the problem. I've been running an mp4 video for nearly 7:00 minutes now with no crash... yet. Hopefully I fixed the problem.

X - who is selling that case for 10$? SVC?

EDIT: Whoops. Spoke too soon. Now avi files are crashing the system in 5 seconds flat. Arrugh.

Last edited by DGibFen; 11-22-06 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-22-06, 09:29 PM
X
Administrator

Yes, SVC.

It's up now. Buy a quiet 80mm fan to replace its noisy one or something else over $5 (you need $50 or more in your order) and apply this coupon (THNKS10) and they'll send you a $10 GC for use in a future order.
Old 11-24-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good news. It turned out that the video card was the problem after all. I exchanged it for a new one today, and it looks like a cap or two on the old vid card was missing. DVD's and all the other media files are running without crashing now. Very very happy.

Thanks for the case suggestion X. Picked one up.
Old 11-24-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

EDIT: Very Very Angry. Not five seconds after I clicked "add message" does the stupid thing lock up again on a DVD. Now I'm worried it's my mobo. Arrugh.