Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: If you got a Zune as a gift, what would you do?
Keep it
26.17%
Exchange for an iPod
52.34%
Exchange for a Zen Vision:M
10.28%
Other
11.21%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

If you got a Zune as a gift

Old 11-21-06, 08:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

If you got a Zune as a gift

So, if you got a Zune as a gift, would you:

* keep it
* exchange for an iPod
* exchange for a Zen Vision:M
Old 11-21-06, 08:21 AM

Even though I'd prefer an iPod, I'd keep it, rather than hurt the person's feelings, that gave it to me. Exchanging it is saying, "I don't like what you gave me, so I'm exchanging it for something I like". Very rude, I think........ But that's just me.
Old 11-21-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk God

exchange for something else
i have an ipod that hasnt left my laptop back in over a year
Old 11-21-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would smash it on the ground, but that wasn't an option.

I already have an 80GB iPod and several older ones so I don't need another one.

Last edited by porieux; 11-21-06 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-21-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would personally exchange it for an iPod if you need an MP3 player. iTunes is a picnic to deal with compared to the Zune software. I would also want all the features the iPod has that the Zune is missing including podcast support, bookmarks, Audible support and better codec support for video.
Old 11-21-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Keep it.
Old 11-21-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Keep it, why not? I'm sure the software will improve eventually. Somebody will probably hack the wireless feature too so songs transfered don't disappear. That would be killer. I still wouldn't buy one at this point, it looks a bit large for my taste (being used to my 4G iPod and actually wanting something a bit smaller).

Brian
Old 11-21-06, 02:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by emoxley
Even though I'd prefer an iPod, I'd keep it, rather than hurt the person's feelings, that gave it to me. Exchanging it is saying, "I don't like what you gave me, so I'm exchanging it for something I like". Very rude, I think........ But that's just me.

Well, the "person" involved is my wife and she knows that I've been wanting the iPod for some time. She's recently hinted that she had trouble finding one and out of nowhere asked - "What's a Zune?" So, I'm assuming that where ever she went didn't happen to have the iPod in stock at the time. Given all this, I don't think it would hurt her feelings if I did exchange it.
Old 11-21-06, 02:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by bdshort
Keep it, why not? ...
It's my understanding that it currently doesn't support as many audio or video file types as either of the other options. I realize that MS might add others later, but that's far from certain.
Old 11-21-06, 02:49 PM

I'd keep it, why not it didn't cost me nothing.
Old 11-21-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Dead
It's my understanding that it currently doesn't support as many audio or video file types as either of the other options. I realize that MS might add others later, but that's far from certain.
Fug it, RockBox will have Zune firmware eventually and then it will kick all sorts of ass
Old 11-21-06, 06:04 PM
Retired

I'd exchange it for a Vision: M. Those things are sweet.
Old 11-22-06, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Exchange it for an ipod.
Old 11-22-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got the latest copy of Men's Health yesterday, and they had a list of the top 100 gadgets for men... guess what was number 1?!?! ZUNE!! So I think there will be a lot of people getting these as gifts this xmas.

If I got one as a gift, I'd keep it, and use it at work. I think it's pretty tacky to return a gift this expensive.
Old 11-22-06, 09:23 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'd exchange it and explain why; it's a 1st generation and made by Microsoft to boot. I'd be more safer waiting for a later generation.
Old 11-22-06, 09:59 AM

Well, the "person" involved is my wife and she knows that I've been wanting the iPod for some time. She's recently hinted that she had trouble finding one and out of nowhere asked - "What's a Zune?" So, I'm assuming that where ever she went didn't happen to have the iPod in stock at the time. Given all this, I don't think it would hurt her feelings if I did exchange it.
Direct her to the apple store, either b&m if you live/work near one or on-line. They will not run out of iPods.
Old 11-22-06, 10:08 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by BMAG
Direct her to the apple store, either b&m if you live/work near one or on-line. They will not run out of iPods.
Well, which ever player I'm getting, she's already bought it. If I'm lucky the question was just because some sales drone mentioned it to her and that she went ahead with the iPod anyway.
Old 11-22-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bdshort
Keep it, why not? I'm sure the software will improve eventually.
That unintentionally made my day!

(I voted to excahnge it for an iPod... I have a nano right now, but would like to get a video iPod... plus I'm an Apple-fanboy.)
Old 11-22-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Glad I could help!
Old 11-23-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for exchanging it for a Zen Vision:M. The ZVM is an amazing player, especially if video playback is important.
Old 11-23-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I say keep it. Yes, it's first generation, but Microsoft, for all the crap it takes for its software, has historically done really well with hardware. Great keyboards and mice, well designed wireless router (unfortunately discontinued), XBox & XBox 360.

From the initial reports, it looks like it actually has pretty well designed software also. The only thing that it lacks is the iPod scroll wheel, but I've always felt that was overrated. Plus, if you want to watch video, don't forget it's a full .5" larger than the iPod and Creative Zen Vision. That's 20% larger (which makes the area even a greater percentage larger), which should make watching videos much easier.
Old 11-23-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally, if I got it as a gift, I would keep it regardless. If I gave it as a gift and someone wanted to return it, I would be fine with it. I am not the type of person that cares if you return a gift. I'd rather you get something that you really want rather than just paying lip service saying you liked it and just keeping it and never using it.
Old 11-25-06, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I messed around with one a couple of days ago, and found myself trying to get the circular part scroll. This would probably change after getting used to the Zune, however I wasn't real impressed with the menu layout.

It seems like one of the better products to come out, though. However, I would still trade it in on an ipod.
Old 11-25-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd exchange it for an iPod. The Zune just isn't that good, and the Vision...sucks.

= J
Old 11-25-06, 12:45 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Well if you're a Costco member you might want to hint back to her that you've "heard" that they have recently received a pallet of every type of iPod available (because they did this past week).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.