Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

wireless router question

Old 11-20-06, 04:33 PM

wireless router question

is it possible to use 2 routers?

say i have one wired router for my computers, and from that wired router i hook up a wireless one. so my 3 ports would be computer, computer, computer, wireless router.

i am wondering this because i dont want my computers to use wireless routers, but just for my nintendo wii to use it.
Old 11-20-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any wireless router you buy should have wired ports. Just plug your two computers into the wireless router and enable the wi-fi for the Wii.
Old 11-20-06, 08:22 PM

And to answer the original question: Yes, this is actually how I have mine hooked up. The configuration may be a little more complicated that just connecting a single router, though.

You'll need to make sure they're both running seperate subnets (i.e. one will be 192.168.0.x and the other will be 192.168.1.x). After that, you should just be able to set the gateway in the wireless router as the LAN ip address of your first router. So if you access your first router by typing an address in a web browser then the IP portion of that address will be what you put for the gateway on the 2nd router.

I hope I'm not confusing you or anything but if you do connect it that way I'll do my best to assist you getting it all connected and configured (to the point of making charts and diagrams if needed).