Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best/cheapest mouse for Mac

Old 11-16-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best/cheapest mouse for Mac

I'm not quite a regular reader to this part of the board, so I hope this isn't too silly of a question! I was just curious if anyone had opinions on the best mouse for a Mac, yet reasonably priced. My one at home is on it's last leg by not being able to hold things or sometimes double clicking when I just try to single click. It's a Logitech I believe, with three buttons (but no wheel... if I get a new one I'd like to have that as a feature though). Any input would be great. Thanks!
Old 11-16-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recently purchased a Kensington StudioMouse Wireless for my iMac G5, which took some getting used to. I like the lack of a cord, but it has a scroll "pad" instead of a wheel, which still feels unnatural. Kensington's configuration software also sucks, so I use USB Overdrive instead since I already owned a license from the OS 9 days.

I am a fan of the Logitech stuff, though. The old MouseMan Wheel was my favorite, and the current MX400 laser model faithfully replicates it. I use an MX400 with my G5 at work. I always liked the TrackMan Wheel as well, and have one on our PC at home. The MX Revolution is awesome, but not $80+ awesome.

dealmac is a great place to go for Mac hardware deals. Just search for "mouse" in the left sidebar. Some current Logitech deals are the LX7 Cordless for $20 (after rebates) from Circuit City, the LX3 Optical for $25 at OfficeMax, and the MX500 for $20 at JustDeals. One of my co-workers has the MX500, which has a nice feel to it, but I prefer the shape of my MX400.

I don't like the shape of Apple's stuff at all, and the scroll ball on the Mighty Mouse is far too hypersensitive.
Old 11-16-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use a Microsoft wireless InteliMouse Explorer 2.0 and love it! Go down to CompUSA or somewhere, and see what feels good in your hand. Get at least two buttons and a scroll wheel. Remember, it doesn't have to be a Mac specific model to work with a Mac.
Old 11-16-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kitkat
Remember, it doesn't have to be a Mac specific model to work with a Mac.
True, and OS X typically recognizes the right-click and scroll wheel by default. The manufacturer's driver is necessary for button customization, and USB Overdrive can typically pick up the slack in case the manufacturer doesn't offer one (or, in my case, offers a poor excuse for one). I always program the middle/wheel button as the Option keystroke so that I can drag-copy things without lifting my hand from the mouse, or close all windows by Option-clicking the red window close button.

Some specialty buttons are unsupported even with USB Overdrive, however; the e-mail and IM buttons on the "Windows only" Logitech MX610 (one of the few mice to have distinct left- and right-handed models) are a notable exception.
Old 11-16-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Third-party Bluetooth mice don't seem to support extra buttons, either. OS X 10.4.8 won't recognize the side buttons on my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth, but the scroll wheel and main buttons work as they should, including the side-to-side scrolling.
Old 11-17-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks all for the suggestions! I'll have to check out some of those (I do always still have the stupid round mouse my Mac came with... *shudder* ).
Old 11-17-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The cheapo optical mouse from MS is perfectly acceptable to me. I use a Mighty Mouse personally. Not great but usable.
Old 11-18-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm using the "Logitech Optical Mouse". Two buttons, one wheel, no ball. About as basic a model as you can get, and only cost around $15. I can't stand Apple mice.