Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

VMWare - mapping host drive from DOS?

Old 11-15-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

VMWare - mapping host drive from DOS?

We are using VMWare Workstation 4.5 (a bit on the old side), and we have built a VM of just plain DR-DOS 6, and wanted to know if anyone knew how to map a drive on the host machine from inside the DR-DOS VM?

The reason is so that we can copy files from inside the DR-DOS VM back to the host PC running VM Ware.

I've partitioned a small 2GB chunk on the hard drive (E:\) and formatted it to FAT16 in the event DR-DOS VM could "see" it and would need FAT16 since it wouldn't support FAT32 or NTFS.

The VM options has the Shared Folder specified (names "DOS"), and Host Folder is "E:\".

Now, the problem, I think, is in setting up the networking inside of the DR-DOS VM, and the ethernet drivers in there are so old and out-of-date (it's running on a new HP NC8430 laptop with Broadcom integrated NIC), and I have no idea how to get the VLM/IPX/etc networking going in order to get to use a DOS command, something like "net map d: "\\.host\shared folders\dos" to map the host's E:\ as D:\ inside the DR-DOS VM.

Any ideas?
Old 11-15-06, 07:16 PM
X
Administrator

Well, first it makes a big difference what protocol you need to run to talk with your network. I would assume TCP/IP or NetBEUI.

Then you're going to need the drivers and boot configuration which is no fun at all. If RAM space is a consideration you're probably better off with NetBEUI.

Here are some references:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/its...t/tcpboot.mspx
http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/1612.html
Old 11-15-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know... I may be able to port over one of my ghost boot-up floppy's files that deal with loading up the network drivers when I use it to boot up the laptop model in question. I will have to hope that the floppy drive on the host will be accessible by the DR-DOS VM.