Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

video output on tv is black

Old 11-15-06, 12:57 AM

video output on tv is black

Hi all,

I have my TV hooked up to my computer. I set up my computer to clone the monitor on the tv, basically allowing to see my desktop, start bar, etc (everything on display 1), also on TV. This works fine.

Things get very strange when I want to look at video. On my monitor, video plays fine. However, the video is not visible on my TV. It's just black. If I don't play the video full screen (i.e. in a smaller window), then again, I see it fine on my monitor, but not on TV. All the rest of the screen is nicely visible on TV, it's just the video part which outputs to black.

I tried windows media player, vlc player etc, all with the same result.

I have an ATI radeon 9550 in my computer.
Reinstalled winXP pro, installed ati catalyst control centre (incidentally, before the reinstall of windows, everything worked fine, including output to the TV, so I know the hardware can do it).

Could you point me in the right direction, because I am stumped on this one. Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-15-06, 01:19 AM
X
Administrator

When you are using the video overlay surface to display video such as DVD it generally only displays on the primary monitor. You might be able to find an ATI mode that will be able to display it on both monitors but I haven't had it configured that way for a long time so I don't know what it is.

I've found that some software players such as PowerDVD will play on both monitors. Most won't.
Old 11-15-06, 01:50 AM

Hi X,

Currently, I have my 2nd monitor disabled, and the 1st monitor is cloned on the TV. So, the software does not have to output it on 2 displays, only on one.

What I don't get is that I see everything on my monitor, and also on the TV. Icons, start bar, background etc DO show up on the TV. It is only the window in which I play video which is output as black on the TV.

Confused...
Old 11-15-06, 03:01 AM
X
Administrator

When I'm talking about two displays I mean a monitor and your TV. Not just two computer monitors. Although the result would be the same.

The video overlay surface isn't what is used when you see your computer desktop so you'll see that on both displays. The overlay is what is used by DVD playing software, so you'll only see this problem when you're playing video such as DVD. It's a very normal phenomenon. The overlay only shows on the monitor you or your system have designated as the primary (or #1) monitor.

You need to make sure your TV is the primary monitor. Make sure ATI recognizes it as such. Then you should see the video on your TV and not on your computer monitor.