Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Ipod, Zune - I'm clueless - help!

Old 11-14-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ipod, Zune - I'm clueless - help!

Can someone help me out here?

I want an mp3 player that can hold up to 80 GB of music, that will interact with my car and doesn't limit me to using just it's own software.

What should I do?

My car currently has a standard CD player and nothing more.
Old 11-14-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Get an iPod. An 80g model is available (not so for the Zune), and there are plenty of car adapters available for it. There are other software options out there for the iPod so you don't HAVE to use iTunes if you don't want to.
Old 11-14-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THere is some open source stuff out there that works with the iPod, but I'm not sure what it is since I just use iTunes, and it's fine for my needs. I'm not sure what sort of 3rd party hardware is out there for Zune, but there are FM transmitters for the iPod as well as cassette adapters. I've just had a new head unit installed w/ an AUX jack to plug my iPod straight in, and I'm thrilled with it...never have to take another CD w/ me again...although there is a drop in sound quality the convenience factor is the big seller for me.

I'm sure as the Zune gets more people behind you'll be able to ask folks about it. Until then, I'd go w/ the $350 iPod.
Old 11-14-06, 09:13 PM

There really shouldn't be a drop in sound quality. If you rip your CDs at a high enough bitrate (or one of the lossless formats), you won't be able to tell the difference. I guess I'm not that picky as the 128kbps AAC files from the iTunes store sound just fine to me.

I'm actually trying to decide between the 8 gig Nano and the 30 gig iPod right now.
Old 11-14-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bdshort
Get an iPod. An 80g model is available (not so for the Zune), and there are plenty of car adapters available for it. There are other software options out there for the iPod so you don't HAVE to use iTunes if you don't want to.
I second that recommendation, too. The current version of iTunes includes the ability to rip music in .MP3 format at up to 320 kbps data rate, though I'd probably recommend 160 kbps data rate for the best balance between decent sound quality and storage space considerations if you want to storage as many albums on your player as possible.
Old 11-14-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bdshort
I'm actually trying to decide between the 8 gig Nano and the 30 gig iPod right now.
Do be aware that the 30 GB regular iPod is rated only up to 14 hours battery life per charge, though. The 8 GB nano is rated at up to 24 hours battery life per charge.

Also, do you plan to play videos on your iPod? If not, the 8 GB nano is a far better choice, especially since it's easier to put the nano in your pocket.
Old 11-15-06, 01:56 AM

I really don't give a crap about video... though I do like the extra screen real estate to display full album or song titles (things that my current 4G ipod cuts off).
Old 11-15-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
First - what do you mean 'interact with your car'..control through your head unit, or just play over the speakers (and does your car have CD changer controls but you dont have a cd changer)

Second Software - do you mean you just want to drag-and-drop
Old 11-15-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Zune is just a joke. Not something you should be seriously considering...sheesh!
Old 11-16-06, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Everything you are asking for is covered in the ipod, and covered well. The Zune, so far, is not the choice to be going for. The Zune doesn't go to 80 gigs, doesn't "interact" with your car (if you are talking like Tommy), and probably doesn't have third-party software yet.

This could all change over the next year.
Old 11-18-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
First - what do you mean 'interact with your car'..control through your head unit, or just play over the speakers (and does your car have CD changer controls but you dont have a cd changer)

Second Software - do you mean you just want to drag-and-drop
Well here's what I mean by interact:

I have seen the IPOD recently and how realistic is it to use that touch pad and that tiny display while you are driving? It doesn't seem likely. I'm used to have a remote control velcroed to my steering wheel and being able to go forward, backward remotely. I'm wondering how realistic it is to do anything with the IPOD.

Also, I think you answered my question about the transmitter. However, I drive a chevy S-10 and it looks like on Ipod's website that there is no Chevrolet transmitter... is that true?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-18-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=724

http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapte...interface.html
Old 11-21-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I figured I would post this in here since I can't start new threads at work. I think the company blocks the ads.kleinman server. Anyway I see that CC is selling as a BF deal the Zen 8gb Microphoto for 130. Their new player the Zen V micro has only up to a 4 for around 170, and Apple has the 8gb Nano for over 200. Is there any reason I should pick up either of the other 2 over the Zen MP either at the size or pay less and get a smaller size? I will mostly be listening to 3 hour long mp3 recordings of a radio talk show. I would like to play them through my car's aux jack. They should all work that way through the headphone jack right? They can all bookmark where I left off in the file?
Old 11-22-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No suggestions people?