Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Digital camera advise

Old 11-13-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Digital camera advise

We just bought my in-laws the Canon A540 for X-mas, and just found out they bought themselves a camera yesterday. Id been thinking of buying a new camera for my family, but now I wonder if I should just keep this one.

I am moving up from a Kodak 3.1Mp that is about 5 years old, and was thinking of spending around $250(maybe a little more, but not much). I paid $199, and got a free 512Mb SD card with the Canon. If I were to spend more like $250-280, what would I get over this one? What cameras should I look at?

~J
Old 11-13-06, 10:57 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You could also look at the SD sub-compact series from Canon, for example the SD600, 630, 700 or 800. For details, check a photography site like dpreview.com. The 600 is almost a year old and can be had for around $210 on sale. The 800 just came out in the US about a month ago and will run about $350 on sale. I like Canon and also have a A-series camera, but will switch to a sub-compact SD for my next camera, much easier to travel with.
Old 11-14-06, 06:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'd make sure to worry less about megapixels and more about optical zoom. A 4MP camera with a 10x zoom is much better than say a 6MP camera with a 3x zoom. My first digicam that I bought in 1999 had a 3x optical zoom and it was a serious limitation that you can't make up for with more pixels.
Old 11-17-06, 12:08 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was at Best Buy today and checked out the A540. Didn't like it at all. Too "chunky" and plasticky. It really didn't feel right when I was holding it. You might want to check out how comfortable and easy it feels to hold it while taking pictures, before deciding to keep it. In roughly the same price range, I would get the Canon SD600.