Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problems while copying files from DVD+R discs

Old 11-10-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Problems while copying files from DVD+R discs

I have about 40 DVD+R's that I had burned files onto. Kept them in excellent condition with no scratches or marks, etc. Just recently tried copying all the files from these discs onto a hard drive and 1/4 of them would not copy (redundacy error or whatever it's called). Tried on 2 different DVD ROM drives and had the same problem. Anyone know why this happens? I'm not even going to bother using these discs anymore, I will just store everything on hard drives.
Old 11-11-06, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What DVD burner are you using, what brand of discs, and at what speed you are using to burn them? I burn many many DVD-R and +R (probably close to a hundred total) with no problem. I usually use Verbatim or TDK, and I always burn the disc below the specified speed, with the majority of them are at 6x.
Old 11-11-06, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, what he said. I burn at 4x for all my data. Call me paranoid. It could be the actual dye which is deconstructing, so the brand of media would be helpful. Also, have you tried putting the DVDs into another brand of DVD-ROM entirely. Often, this can solve the problem. I recommend Pioneer DVD burners as I've burned DVD media for years and it's still readable.
Old 11-11-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I use a Lite ON burner and always burn at max speed and usually use memorex discs
Old 11-11-06, 02:26 PM
X
Administrator

Memorex discs are usually crap. That's probably your problem.

Since you have a Lite-on burner you can use KProbe to scan your discs to check their burn quality at different speeds as well as seeing what the quality of your deteriorated discs looks like and what kind of errors they have.
Old 11-11-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I use a Lite ON burner and always burn at max speed and usually use memorex discs
Well, there's your problem --- or at least part of it.

1. Don't burn at max speed.
2. Memorex brand media isn't very good.
3. Liteon isn't my preferred brand of DVD burner, but I've heard good things about it, so that shouldn't be an issue. Maybe others can chime in on that.

My initial recommendations would be to slow your burn speeds down to 4x or 6x. I burn everything at 4x and have never had a problem. I would also go with Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Verbatim is easy to find in stores. TY you'll probably have to buy online (Meritline.com and Supermediastore.com have always been good for me).