Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

help me get my mac and pc working together

Old 11-10-06, 05:01 PM

help me get my mac and pc working together

hey all. i've had nothing but trouble trying to do what i want to do so i thought i would ask the experts...

i have an old dell pc running windows xp. i have a new apple macbook running os x. what i would like to do is this: store all my mp3s and photos and any other multimedia file on my pc and access these files through my macbook. so, for instance, when i'm hanging about my house, i can play my mp3s stored on my pc through itunes on my macbook. furthermore, i'd like to use the printer that is attached to my pc when i print things from my macbook. i'm not sure of the correct terminology to use (network, server, workgroup, domain, etc...) but i know what i want finished product i want. googling has been frustraing and unfruitful.

please help me out! any and all suggestions, instructions, or further reading is wonderfully appreciated. thanks!
Old 11-10-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just put them on the same network, install iTunes on the PC if you don't have it already and put all your music in there, use iTunes sharing. The printer shouldn't be hard to set up either. I'm not really sure what problem you are having cuz you aren't that specific, but it's easy to do what you are trying to do and it can be done in multiple different ways.
Old 11-10-06, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Just put them on the same network, install iTunes on the PC if you don't have it already and put all your music in there, use iTunes sharing. The printer shouldn't be hard to set up either. I'm not really sure what problem you are having cuz you aren't that specific, but it's easy to do what you are trying to do and it can be done in multiple different ways.
i probably could have been more specific: on my macbook, i'd like to access the files stored on my PC as if they were on a network drive. that way, i can modify the files if i wanted to, add files to the drive...all that stuff.

i know i can use iTunes sharing while running iTunes on both machines. but this doesn't allow me to view the shared library by album cover or make cds.
Old 11-10-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well if you are sharing the drive from the PC you can connect to it from the Mac.

If it doesn't show up in 'Network' then connect to it via IP address (Connect to Server under View menu in Finder). You can make a shortcut to it or have it automatically connect at boot etc.

You can drag music files from the PC drive right into your iTunes. When you aren't connected to the PC they will have a ! next to them and not be available, of course. (make sure iTunes is not set to copy the music, if you have it set that way you can temp override the setting by holding down the option key when you drag them in, or just adjust the preferences)