Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptop Battery stays at 5% for hours

Old 11-09-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Laptop Battery stays at 5% for hours

Hey all,

After about 2 years, the battery on my Compaq Presario R3140US started draining quickly. As I had it setup, the computer would hibernate at 5%. Well, one day i turned off the auto hibernation and the battery will stay between 0% and 5% for another hour at least....So, something is not communicating properly between my laptop and the battery.... any suggs?

Thanks in advance,

Matt!
Old 11-10-06, 07:57 AM

sounds like the power meter in windows is not calibrated. Some of the compaq bios have a battery optimizer..if so run that. The other thing to do is boot up, turn off the hibernate etc, disconnect the power, and let the lap run on battery until it dies. Then recharge with it off fully This will cycle the battery and help windows recalibrate. You can repeat the cycle 2 or 3 times to improve the accuracy. It is good practice to deep cycle the battery once every 2 or 3 months depending on your power usage.
Good luck
Old 11-10-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello,

I have deep-cycled multiples times.... It doesn't seem to work -- and also, the BIOS doesn't have a calib. feature.

Bummer,

Matt!
Old 11-13-06, 10:29 AM

then you may actualy have a dead batt. Do you have a 2nd batt or know someone with the same batt you could try? if not its time to hit ebay.
Old 11-13-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aaron,

Do you know of any reputable places on ebay? Would you recommend an OEM, or some other brand? I believe I saw some that were rated to last longer than even the original....

Later,

Matt!