Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

20 pin power supply on 24 pin motherboard?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-20-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently upgraded my computer and TRIED to keep what I could.. which ended up being just my keyboard, mouse and case. Now, the motherboard is 24 pin power and I had a 20 pin power supply, the guy at Fry's sold me a converter and said it was a TEMPORARY solution, he said it wouldn't damage anything.. but there'd a performance boost if I get the 24 pin power supply. Is this true or was he full of the shit?
Old 09-20-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd get a 24 pin power supply other wise you may have power issues. Antec's are very good and are about $60. A good power supply is probably the most important part of your computer.
Old 09-20-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the power supply is important. The one I bought recently continues to act silly even after switching from a Socket A to a Socket 754 board (when you power down the computer the fans and power light stays on even though the system is technically off) so I'm going to get a new one and toss it. I spent close to a grand building a new PC and don't want a faulty power supply to ruin it.

I would play it safe and spend the extra $60.
Old 09-20-06, 12:04 PM

The extra 4 pins on a 24pin connector is just for powering the PCI/E port (PCI Express). I know many people without PCI/E cards that use 20pin connectors on 24pin motherboards....then again I know many people that user the 20 to 24 pin adapters and use PCI/E cards...of course those people have quality power supplies.

Myself? I'm anal about my systems. I would buy a quality 24pin power supply.
Old 09-20-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Silt
The extra 4 pins on a 24pin connector is just for powering the PCI/E port (PCI Express). I know many people without PCI/E cards that use 20pin connectors on 24pin motherboards....then again I know many people that user the 20 to 24 pin adapters and use PCI/E cards...of course those people have quality power supplies.
Hmm.. well I do have a PCI-e card.. but it works, I guess. I'm not sure how to check if it's working "full power" or not.
Old 09-20-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

On the systems i've built i've used the 20 pin plug on 24 pin motherboards without any issues. I've ready that there could potentially be problems with high end video cards that require a lot of juice, but haven't found any one reporting problems resulting specfically for that reason.