Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is my DVD-RW drive taking up 2 drive letters?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-19-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 1 CD-RW drive, and 1 DVD+/-RW drive in my computer.. but the DVD seems to be taking up 2 drive letters, as seen below:

anyone know why this would be happening? (using XP Pro)
Old 09-19-06, 09:55 AM

It looks like it's calling the Rom part of your burner, a seperate drive.
You can go to your Device Manager, right click on both dvd drives and Uninstall them. Then reboot, let Windows detect new hardware, and let it install the driver for you. Maybe that will straighten it out.

Does it create a problem, or did you just notice it and wondering? If it's not a problem, you may not want to mess with it, until it becomes one.
Good luck!
Old 09-19-06, 01:22 PM

Also, if you install Alcohol 120% cd burning software (and certain others I'm sure), it will set up a virtual drive in your system (used for mounting CD/DVD images and testing them out without having to burn to disc first). The drive will show in 'My Computer' as a normal dvd drive. It will be there even if you're not running alcohol at the time.

If you put a disc in the drive - can you read it from two different drive letters? Or does it only come up in one?