Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help choosing VoIP provider

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-18-06, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently moved, and will now be working out of my home office. My job requires a great deal of phone work, so I am looking into VoIP to save $$ on long distance charges.

I have looked at some of the providers out there (Vonage, SunRocket, Packet8), but am looking to the forum members for some recommendations.

Quality of service is of highest importance to me; can't afford outages or poor voice quality. I have good throughput on my cable modem (6meg down/512k up). Would also prefer to have a toll-free number available for incoming calls. So far, it appears that Vonage is the only one who offers this...

Input is appreciated. TIA!
Old 09-19-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There's been other threads on this. I've used both Packet8 & Sunrocket and both seem equal in my mind. I believe both allow 800#'s as well. I don't think that is a Vonage only possibility. In terms of cost I think you will find it to be Sunrocket; Packet8; Vonage (cheapest to most expensive).
Old 09-20-06, 10:02 AM

Yes, I read some of the other threads, but didn't see anything about 800#'s. Packet8 and Sunrocket don't mention them on their websites. Guess I'll email them to ask...

Thanks for the reply, Nefarious. Are your using one of these providers now? What made you choose one over the other?
Old 09-20-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been using Packet8 for over a year now and am very pleased. Quality is good... no outages. I chose it at the time mainly because it was the only one that offered my area code. It also got good reviews and was cheaper than Vonage.

Apparantly it does offer a toll free option. Don't know how it compares to other plans. From their website:

"TOLL FREE SERVICE PLAN
Packet8 offers an inexpensive way to have toll-free number service for your business or for your personal use. We offer toll-free number service in conjunction with our unlimited calling plans that provide your callers the ability to phone you for no charge regardless of their location inside the US or your location worldwide. Packet8's toll free service costs a fraction of what traditional telephone service providers charge. Our toll free service plan offers you a flat monthly fee that includes 100 minutes of inbound toll-free calls and an industry low 4.5 cents a minute thereafter for inbound calls. "
Old 09-20-06, 11:00 AM

Ah, thanks. That's similar to what Vonage offers. Have either of you tried using your Packet8 lines for faxing? I've been reading that some of the providers have issues with fax machines.
Old 09-20-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm using SunRocket now. They may not offer the toll-free #. Otherwise I think you would be satisfied with either SR or Packet8.

I only left P8 due to savings. I've never used Vonage so can't really speak to it.
Old 09-20-06, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nefarious
I'm using SunRocket now.
What are their "junk" charges per month (ie universal service, etc.)?
Old 09-20-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bretski
Ah, thanks. That's similar to what Vonage offers. Have either of you tried using your Packet8 lines for faxing? I've been reading that some of the providers have issues with fax machines.
Never used it for faxing.
Old 09-20-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bretski
What are their "junk" charges per month (ie universal service, etc.)?
I've only been billed the $199 fee which included all taxes, etc. They did just post on their website in the user area that they have to begin direct charging of the federal usage fee. I don't know what all that entails just yet.

My Packet8 services ran about $24 after taxes, 911 fees, etc. I paid $199 flat (roughly $16.xx) for SunRocket. My in-laws signed up during the recent 1/2 of promotion. They did have to buy their gizmo/SIP device but still the total was $138 or about 12.xx per month.
Old 01-08-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just wanted to chime in and say that I got Vonage this weekend (AT&T couldn't get my line working in my new house and on top of it never showed up for the appointment so I said screw it). I signed up for the 14.99 plan (500 outgoing local/long distance minutes, free incoming) and so far I'm very happy with the quality. I have a great cable connection so the sound is fantastic. My cable connection has also been very reliable so I think it'll work out well. Plus with their network outage forwarding features and good cell reception I should be all set. Another nice thing I found is that outgoing calls to toll free number (800,866,888 etc) are not deducted from your minutes which is great for those long hold times
Combined with the fact that the linksys box was 59.99 with an instant $50 gift card and a $100 rebate, it was a no brainer.