Reload this Page >

Anyone else try WMP 11 (beta 2)?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-17-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the interface. Very simple and uncluttered, and well organized and visual. Sync works like a charm for all of us non-iPod users (I gave up on mine and went back to the trusty Dell DJ). I find it much more intuitive and easy to add your own pics and such.

If you decide that you don't want iTunes, give this release a chance. It's everything WMP should have been for years.
Old 09-18-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like it a lot too and it works much better with Firefox.

I don't see it as an either/or with iTunes though as I find iTunes better for playing multiple tracks and for its music organization features. WMP is better for playing single tracks, particularly when viewing/listening to media from the Web, not least because it fires up a lot faster.
Old 09-18-06, 01:20 AM
lxl

any screenshot?
Old 09-18-06, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lxl
any screenshot?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...11/design.aspx
Old 09-18-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks pretty nice, I'll give it a try tonight.
Old 09-18-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i've been using it to play avi's and other videos. quicktime is for mov's and Itunes for regular music.

i'll wait till the zune comes out to see what it's really like, but otherwise it's not too different for me since 6.5 except with radio and a few other things added in
Old 09-18-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really, really like this program. Its very easy to scan through a large collection of music quickly and it has a very clean interface. I ended up buying a Sansa E260 this weekend and the shuffle sync works very well with a small flash device. It is missing some of the bells and whistles of iTunes like the podcasting client, but I started using RSS Radio for that and really prefer it to iTunes.

WMP11 is also really good with video playback. Its not so much an all in one like iTunes, but combined with a good podcasting client and a good MP3 ripping program like EAC its pretty solid.

I really wanted to break away from iTunes where I needed to buy iPods to fully enjoy it. With WMP11 I get a program nearly as good as iTunes and I can use a much wider variety of players.
Old 09-18-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Darkside, that's exactly how I feel about it. It's a great marriage with my Dell DJ, and now my wife says she can actually find things in my music collection. I think it's a huge leap forward for MS and hopefully pairs well with the Zune to great a true iPod competitor.
Old 09-19-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I'm just using it for video files.. when I'm in "classic" skin mode it's like there's no change for me.

I really like the new default skin so I may switch back to that.