Reload this Page >

Which Verizon LG Phone to get?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-15-06, 11:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm scheduled for an upgrade in a few weeks and am not sure which one to get.

I see the 'Chocolate' Phone and the LG 8300.

The Chocolate is an issue because of its 'non-phone like' carrying around issue.

The LG 8300 is similar to my 6100 and I'm looking for variety.

Any insight or advise is appreciated, even if you might recommend a non-LG phone.
Old 09-15-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What features do you require in a phone?

Without this information, it's going to be awfully hard to get any solid recommendations.
Old 09-15-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just ordered a KG800 (Chocolate) so I'll try and remember to check back in here and let you know how it works out once I receive it.
Old 09-15-06, 11:34 PM

I'm in the same boat. I'm due for an upgrade right now, but I just don't see too many phones out there that appeal to me. I have verizon and am a loyal follower of LG. I love LG phones and I wouldn't get any other brand. Even the reps often say that LG is one of the better brands --- often better than Samsung / Motorola / etc.

What I want:

- flip phone
- long battery life
- bluetooth enabled (although i wouldn't necessarily use it right away, since I don't have the ear piece)
- speakerphone
- not too bulky
- fast and responsive, no laggy interface
- voice-name recognition for fast dialing
- expansion slot for a memory card

I still prefer LG brand over the rest. I wish they'd release a razr type phone for Verizon that is thin and lightweight.

Does anyone know if they would release such a phone? Samsung / Sanyo / Motorola (and more probably) already have released their versions.
Old 09-16-06, 12:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Spy021
What features do you require in a phone?

Without this information, it's going to be awfully hard to get any solid recommendations.
Dont want to spend the extra bucks on all the optional features.

so far, the 8300 appeals to me because it can play wmas with a microsd and it has a speakerphone (unlike the chocolate).
Old 09-16-06, 01:11 AM

i just had a renew for Verizon, picked up the Motorola RAZR V3m (new model) for 50 bucks. so far its a great phone, bluetooth is sweet. picked up the Motorola H700 headset off amazon for less that half of what it was in stores.
Old 09-16-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got the vx8300 and I love it. The only bad thing so far is that its kind of a pain to transfer mp3s. I think I need to buy a micro sd reader or something.
Old 09-17-06, 01:28 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The trend is to move away from external antennas, so that may be a consideration for you. If you like the Chococate, there is a flip-phone version of it coming out so you may want to wait for that. Other than, the Motorolas are good, but they have become too familiar. There is also a higher end Samsung flip phone, SCH A-990 that has the thin style almost like the RAZR, but I don't know too much else about it.
Old 09-17-06, 01:37 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DonkeyKong
I'm in the same boat. I'm due for an upgrade right now, but I just don't see too many phones out there that appeal to me. I have verizon and am a loyal follower of LG. I love LG phones and I wouldn't get any other brand. Even the reps often say that LG is one of the better brands --- often better than Samsung / Motorola / etc.

What I want:

- flip phone
- long battery life
- bluetooth enabled (although i wouldn't necessarily use it right away, since I don't have the ear piece)
- speakerphone
- not too bulky
- fast and responsive, no laggy interface
- voice-name recognition for fast dialing
- expansion slot for a memory card

I still prefer LG brand over the rest. I wish they'd release a razr type phone for Verizon that is thin and lightweight.

Does anyone know if they would release such a phone? Samsung / Sanyo / Motorola (and more probably) already have released their versions.
If you feel that strongly about LG, the phone that meets almost all your criteria is the CU500, but it is not offered by Verizon. Only Cingular has it in the US as far as I know. It also doesn't have voice name dialing -- I think that is an extra-cost feature by Cingular.
Old 09-18-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The best answer to your question is to wait until the end of the month or the beginning of October.

Verizon is releasing the LG VX-8600 at the end of the month which is the "flip phone" answer to the Chocolate. It has a lower-resolution display compared to the Chocolate, but it maintains the same features and actually has a speakerphone (unlike the Chocolate) and is RAZR-like thin.

At the beginning of October, Verizon will release the LG VX-9900, which is the upgrade to "The V" (VX-9800). From what I've read, it retains the same features as the VX-9800, but uses the Flash UI (thank God) and is 40% thinner than "The V."
Old 09-18-06, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll be selling my 9800 for the 9900 for sure. The keyboard looks to be much more improved and its so much smaller.
Old 09-18-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'll be selling my 9800 for the 9900 for sure. The keyboard looks to be much more improved and its so much smaller.
I love my V9800 to death but I'd like to see this new phone. LG has some really nice phones.
Old 09-18-06, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The best answer to your question is to wait until the end of the month or the beginning of October.

Verizon is releasing the LG VX-8600 at the end of the month which is the "flip phone" answer to the Chocolate. It has a lower-resolution display compared to the Chocolate, but it maintains the same features and actually has a speakerphone (unlike the Chocolate) and is RAZR-like thin.

At the beginning of October, Verizon will release the LG VX-9900, which is the upgrade to "The V" (VX-9800). From what I've read, it retains the same features as the VX-9800, but uses the Flash UI (thank God) and is 40% thinner than "The V."
Matthew - Thank you very much for the inside scoop. So in less than a month (barring any delays), that new phone will be out for Verizon? I don't plan on leaving Verizon and just want to stick with an LG phone. I always wondered when they'd be releasing a RAZR-style phone. This news sounds very promising.

I'll check out some sites like phonescoop to see if they have any other information on the phone.

Thanks again!