Reload this Page >

Wireless Internet Problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-14-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the same computer and same wireless internet for years. Just a few days ago I've been having the same problem. I have a laptop and usually leave it on at home during the day. When I'm not using it, I shut the top. Now, everytime I open the laptop back up, I can't connect to the internet. If I try and repair the wireless connection or disconnect and reconnect to the internet, I might get the wireless to work. But mostly the connection doesn't work (even though I am connected, I can't receive info). However, if reboot the computer, everything works fine.

Since I don't want to restart the computer everytime I want to use it, is there a reason the computer is doing this? I'm guessing that when I shut the laptop, I lose the internet connection, but for whatever reason I can't get it back. Thanks!
Old 09-14-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check and see if the network card is set to power off when computer is set to turn off when not in use. Go to the network properties and it's under the power management tab. Next time it does it open a command prompt in the MSDOS window and type: ipconfig /release and then type ipconfig /renew this will release and renew the IP address. See if the internet works after you do that. That will tell you if the problem is the network card for the most part.
Old 09-14-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't seem to find any power management tab in my network preferences, but the ipconfig didn't work. It's weird that this problem would all of a sudden pop up after working for so long. I can connect to the network, but it won't receive any info. I there any reason this would change all of a sudden?
Old 09-14-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the network card power management try going to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and find and expand your network adapter from the list. Right click it>Properties>Power Management and make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked.
Old 09-15-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
For the network card power management try going to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and find and expand your network adapter from the list. Right click it>Properties>Power Management and make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked.
Thanks. I have checked as you said above and have the power management off. It was off before, so I'm guessing whatever problem will still persist. When the problem comes up, and I try to use the ipconfig commands, it. doesn't seem to do anything. I should point out that I can connect to a wireless network, it just doesn't allow me to receive info. That is unless I reboot the computer. I'm just wondering if I installed something or did something recently to cause this problem.
Old 09-15-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jericho
Thanks. I have checked as you said above and have the power management off. It was off before, so I'm guessing whatever problem will still persist. When the problem comes up, and I try to use the ipconfig commands, it. doesn't seem to do anything. I should point out that I can connect to a wireless network, it just doesn't allow me to receive info. That is unless I reboot the computer. I'm just wondering if I installed something or did something recently to cause this problem.
Yeah it sounds like Windows is forgetting the IP info. That's why your computer shows it is connected but you can't go anywhere on the net. Can you bypass your router and hook the computer up directly to the modem? Try hooking it up directly to your network port on the PC. If it works fine then the problem is the wireless adaptor. If the problem continues then see if your modem has a USB connection. Try to connect the modem to your computer by the USB connection and see if the problem stops. You wil probably need the drivers disc that came with the modem for this. If the problem persists after trying the USB port, network port and wireless connection then more than likely the problem is something in Windows itself.