Reload this Page >

Cheap MP3 Player w/OSD?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cheap MP3 Player w/OSD?

Old 09-14-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap MP3 Player w/OSD?

I want to get an MP3 player, mainly for listening to podcasts and audio books during my commute. I'm guessing I'd need an OSD if I'm going to be listening to those things, so I can play them in the correct order and whatnot?

I don't really know a thing about MP3 players. I know I don't feel the need to have an iPod, but do all MP3 players work with iTunes?

Not looking at spending much over $100, since I really won't ever need more than a GB or two of space and it will only be used for my commute (I really won't listen to it much at all other than during that time).

Suggestions? Thanks a lot.
Old 09-14-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm. I was feeling nostalgic and I think that I'll piggyback my request onto this one.

What's the cheapest MP3 Player w/OMD?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a hot deal:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=477092
$30 (after rebate) for a 2.5 GB hard-drive-based Rio player.

stp: I believe you can play Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark on just about any player.

aktick: If you want to use iTunes, you have to use an iPod. This is why Apple makes it free -- so they can "force" you to buy their hardware. Note that you don't need to use iTunes to do the things you want to do, but it will automate things like grabbing podcasts and playlists.
Old 09-14-06, 06:40 PM
Retired

You can use itunes to manage your mp3 collection and not use an iPod. You just can't use it to load songs on to a non-ipod player, or to sync up playlists etc.

I use it as it's the best program for managing MP3's in my system, and just use other software to load my mp3 players (one is just drag and drop in windows, but I usually use the free RandomFill program to fill it up; the other has a simple program that opens a window you can drag and drop in--Dell DJ explorer).
Old 09-14-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Creative Zen Nano Plus 512 MB that does include an onscreen display. Nice little player, too. (You can often get this player for under US$50.)
Old 09-14-06, 11:56 PM
Retired

That creative is nice, I have the same thing, just before they called in the Nano.

Was Creative Muvo Micro when I bought it a couple years ago. It is a nice player for the gym etc.
Old 09-15-06, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
You can use itunes to manage your mp3 collection and not use an iPod. You just can't use it to load songs on to a non-ipod player, or to sync up playlists etc.

I use it as it's the best program for managing MP3's in my system, and just use other software to load my mp3 players (one is just drag and drop in windows, but I usually use the free RandomFill program to fill it up; the other has a simple program that opens a window you can drag and drop in--Dell DJ explorer).

Here's a neat trick that I found while trying to load my PSP from iTunes. You can drag and drop directly from within iTunes. For example you can set up a playlist, select all in that playlist, then just drag and drop from iTunes to the windows explorer folder you want to copy them into. You can also drag and drop from your library, and the number of files you copy can be anywhere from 1 to your entire library. I hope this helps.

I was looking around for a third-party program that lets you sync iTunes with any mp3 player and I could have sworn I saw it here in a thread on DVD Talk. Anyways, the above method works for me.
Old 09-18-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, as always, I've talked myself into getting something nicer.

I'm thinking along the lines of a video iPod now - are there any better alternatives in the $250 price range of the 30GB video iPod?
Old 09-18-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
Well, as always, I've talked myself into getting something nicer.

I'm thinking along the lines of a video iPod now - are there any better alternatives in the $250 price range of the 30GB video iPod?
If you are considering a 30GB iPod Video, I suggest that you take a peek at the Creative Zen Vision:M first. I was about to buy a 30GB iPod Video but then I saw the various formats that the ZVM supports (especially video) and I was hooked. Converting DVDs to play on it is as easy as it gets. The ability to use Divx and XviD codecs means that you can get great looking and sounding videos for a fraction of the filesize they would be on the iPod.

I've had the ZVM for a few days now and I'm very glad that I got it over the iPod.
Old 09-18-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm definitely not infatuated with the iPod brand, so I'm open to any suggestions. I see the Toshiba Gibabeat thingy is out there as well, thoughts on it?

My MP3 use would be pretty simple - as stated originally, it'd be mostly for listening to audio books and podcasts, some music too, but my collection isn't that big, and I'm not too picky.

Divx and Xvid playback sounds appealing - iPod doesn't do these?
Old 09-19-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How about the Zen Vision: W? I really don't need something tiny, and it seems like it will be not much more than the Vision: M, price-wise. It'll be sitting in my car or with me at work - I won't be walking around with the thing. The larger screen could be awfully nice.

It's supposedly being released, like, now?
Old 09-19-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
How about the Zen Vision: W? I really don't need something tiny, and it seems like it will be not much more than the Vision: M, price-wise. It'll be sitting in my car or with me at work - I won't be walking around with the thing. The larger screen could be awfully nice.

It's supposedly being released, like, now?
I guess it depends upon what you are looking for. To me, it is larger and more expensive, and really not a portable mp3 player, but a "transportable"... good to use at point "A" and point "B", but not while going from point "A" to point "B".

If you like the iPod form-factor but want a device that offers more flexibility, then the ZEN Vision:M is worth looking at, but if size is (apparently) no object, then really anything goes.
Old 09-19-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course I'd just use my laptop in my car if size was not at all an issue , but the size differences between the M and W seem like not much to me.

I'm actually leaving on a business trip tomorrow and would love to try one of these out - is Best Buy's (or others) return policy pretty flexible with MP3 players like this?