Reload this Page >

Network Hard-Drives & Internet Access

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-13-06, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, we are looking to get a Network drive in our office, but one of the things we want to do is be able to access the drive remotely (i.e. if I am working at home). I have looked at the Western Digital, IOMEGA, Maxtor, LaCie, etc... network drives (approx. 250 Gig) and they all seem like fine products, but I can't figure out if they can be accessed remotely. This is a big part of what we want to do, and I don't want the company to spend money on something only to figure out that it won't work. So, if a "network" drive isn't really what I'm looking for then can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

-Chad
Old 09-13-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you have a VPN connection setup at your work? If so, just share it on the network so that you can acces it from home. If not, you might want to look into this. Or, you could look at some online companies that sell HD space online (hence, you would be able to access this anywhere). I personally can't recommend any, but I know there are several of them out there.
Old 09-14-06, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No, we're a pretty small company. Right now the way we share files is this: My boss's computer has the hard drive with all of the data on it, and I access it directly through the LAN. The final idea is to be able to access the data remotely (i.e. when I am working from home). I just tried the Folder Share from Microsoft, and it isn't working like I had hoped... We also don't want to keep the machines in the office running all the time, so the network drive seemed like the best idea. I'm just not sure how to access the LAN at work remotely, and part of this is me trying to figure that out.
Old 09-14-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most of these storage devices can operate as an ftp server. Assuming you use a router that has port forwarding capabilities, you could pick an arbitray port (eg: 875632) and tell the router to direct all requests at that port to the NAS box. This would allow anyone who typed in your ip address in the form ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:875632 to access the files from anywhere in the world.

Not very secure, but the best you can do without SSH VPN tunneling et al.
Old 09-14-06, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by BigPete
Not very secure, but the best you can do without SSH VPN tunneling et al.
SFTP is almost as widely-supported and far more secure. Windows won't have a built-in client, but FileZilla is easy enough to use.

Some network-attached drives might also have an HTTPS front-end. Depending on how they implement the UI, it could be a little unwieldy. But it'd be good enough in a pinch.

There's also WebDAV, which (IIRC) Windows includes a client for. But I'd be surprised if any reasonably-priced devices support it.
Old 09-14-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GHackmann
SFTP is almost as widely-supported and far more secure. Windows won't have a built-in client, but FileZilla is easy enough to use.

Some network-attached drives might also have an HTTPS front-end. Depending on how they implement the UI, it could be a little unwieldy. But it'd be good enough in a pinch.

There's also WebDAV, which (IIRC) Windows includes a client for. But I'd be surprised if any reasonably-priced devices support it.
I'm not aware of any NAS appliances that support SFTP ... but it could be accomplished by making a linux FTP server out of an old PC.