Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Questions about Linux.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Questions about Linux.

Old 09-10-06, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Linux.

Im building a new gaming PC and I doubt I will have enough $$$ for windows XP. So im looking into linux. Will I be able to play PC games on it?? Also How would I get it on the system? Thanks
Old 09-10-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You need to buy games that will run on Linux. In general the game will come as an RPM that you just double-click and it will install it for you. Sometimes a game will require more finessing to get it to run if there is a missing library or something of that sort. It's best to choose a widely used linux distribution and install everything or if there is a "Gaming Machine" option choose that.
Old 09-11-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

See this thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=325556

Some of the links will be out of date but in particular, check out the Transgaming site and the Just Linux and Linux Questions forums.
Old 09-12-06, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are some links to get you started:

Linux Gamer's FAQ

TuxGames - Buy Linux Games

Windows Emulators:
http://www.winehq.com/
http://www.transgaming.com/

At this stage, most software and OpenGL Windows games work perfectly using emulation. A very few games have native Linux ports, and some notable Direct3D games actually are emulated very well.

Quake IV and Unreal Tournament 2004 have native ports. Prey, World of Warcraft and Half Life 2 work almost perfectly in the available emulators. Oblivion, unfortunately, does not work well at all.
Old 09-12-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

there is windows XP home deal at office depot

check the hot deals forum or fatwallet for details. or you can just buy the OEM version over ebay. i think it's like $70.
Old 09-12-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You could also get the Vista RC1 for free. The license is good for a year and at that time you might be able to get a good deal on an 'old' copy of XP. You could set it up to dual boot with Linux and then just use whatever platform works best.