DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Getting wma files to play on mp3 player? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/477173-getting-wma-files-play-mp3-player.html)

Joxer 09-09-06 11:30 AM

Getting wma files to play on mp3 player?

I have a Creative Zen Nano Plus (1 gig) mp3 player. Is it possible (through upgrades, addons, or hacks) to get it to read the encoded .wma files that Real's Rhapsody downloads to my hard drive? I can play them just fine on my computer with any mp3 player, but my Zen won't even recognize that they are on the player.

GHackmann 09-09-06 12:03 PM

To play purchased WMA files on a portable player, you need to do one of two things:

1. Buy a new player which supports the PlaysForSure DRM scheme.
2. Remove the DRM from your WMA files.

The second option is obviously the better one. Unfortunately, I think that it would violate forum rules to discuss the program that removes DRM from WMA files.

GHackmann 09-09-06 12:09 PM

Odd . . . Creative says that your player actually does support Windows Media DRM. You may need to transfer the files in a special way (e.g, using Windows Media Player) to get it to copy the keys it needs. Check Rhapsody's online documentation.

TheKobra 09-09-06 02:21 PM

I would use this program if you have DMR files. This will NOT break any US copyright laws. Everything is done in real time (so it will take you a long time) so if you have 15 hours of music it will take 15 hours to encode it. Its just like the old days when you would record onto a audio tape off the FM Radio. Now this will not make a perfect copy because it does it in real time. But it is very helpful.

http://www.muvaudio.com/

MuvAudio2© Features:

Converts at up to 10X* real-time. A breakthrough in the real-time recording world!
Convert to MP3 (CBR and VBR), WMA (Lossless), FLAC, OGG, MP4, WAV and more...
Supports MP3, WMA, OGG, and FLAC meta-tagging of, Author, Title, Album, Year, Genre, and Track Number.
Automatically downloads and embeds album cover art directly into MP3 files.
Record the audio from most filetypes playable by Windows Media Player© (dvr-ms, rmi, mpeg, mpg, mpe, miv, mp2, wav, ivf, mpv2, mp2v, mpa, aif, aifc, aiff, au, snd, mp3, wmv, wma, asf, wvx, wmx, and avi)***.
Watch Folder Mode lets you set a directory to watch for items to convert and automatically converts them.
Reproduces the best possible quality recording of any real-time recording program.
Supports "Sound Seclusion": MuvAudio2© only records the audio file, not other sounds made by your computer. Now you can use your computer while recording! Another breakthrough!
And much more...

DodgingCars 09-09-06 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheKobra
I would use this program if you have DMR files. This will NOT break any US copyright laws.

Are you sure. I thought the Supreme Court ruled that breaking copyright protection, even to make copies for products you purchased for your own use is against the law. This is why the DVD copy programs were taken off the shelves, because the courts ruled that breaking the copyright encryption is illegal.

I would think, even with the real-time transfer, this would still fall under "breaking the encryption."

RayChuang 09-09-06 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Joxer
I have a Creative Zen Nano Plus (1 gig) mp3 player. Is it possible (through upgrades, addons, or hacks) to get it to read the encoded .wma files that Real's Rhapsody downloads to my hard drive? I can play them just fine on my computer with any mp3 player, but my Zen won't even recognize that they are on the player.

I think you need to use Windows Media Player 10 in Sync mode to copy downloaded DRM-protected .WMA files to your Zen Nano Plus player. I have downloaded a full album from Wal-Mart's online music store (they use DRM-protected .WMA format) and with WMP 10 I had no problems copying them to my Zen Nano Plus 512 MB player. :)

TheKobra 09-09-06 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Are you sure. I thought the Supreme Court ruled that breaking copyright protection, even to make copies for products you purchased for your own use is against the law. This is why the DVD copy programs were taken off the shelves, because the courts ruled that breaking the copyright encryption is illegal.

I would think, even with the real-time transfer, this would still fall under "breaking the encryption."

I have never used the program but from what I have read on several differnt forums is this is ok to sell and use. You are buying it from a company here in the U.S. and not overseas. You are not cirumventing the copy protection or breaking the copy protection. All you are doing is playing the music (in real time) and making an analog copy. The way to look at is like I said above...its no difference if you were to play the songs from any player (WindowsMediaPlayer) and record it on your MD or Audio cassett.

Joxer 09-09-06 11:06 PM

Thanks Kobra, but I can do the same thing with WinAmp and SoundForge. I was just thinking that if Rhapsody allowed me to download the files and play them with no restriction on my hard drive, then I should be able to transfer them to my MP3 player.