Reload this Page >

Computer won't boot

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer won't boot

Old 09-09-06, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer won't boot

Earlier today I had a brief power blackout - I have USP and I shutted my PC down properly. But later when I tried to turn the PC on, the PC won't boot at all. When I press the power button, it will turn on with HD light on, but it stays that way for a few moments until the HD light turns off. There's no signal to the monitor also. I have tried to unplug everything - my video card, sound card, RAM, IDE drive and HD, processor and heatsink with no result at all. I even replaced the power supply I took from another PC, but all I got is a big zero.

So, what seems to be the cause of all this? Any ideas, solution? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-06, 08:36 AM

What a bummer. I wish that I had something for you on this one. The only thing that I can think of is can you bypass the USP? Maybe there is something wrong with it? Good luck
Old 09-10-06, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No. I've bypassed the UPS but nothing. Everything would power up but nothing came up on the screen and everything freezes. The only thing work is the reset switch. The power button won't even turn the PC off. I began to think that this is the motherboard but I'm not very sure.

I wanted to ask for professional help, but I can't afford being without a PC for long, so I was thinking about replacing the mobo, processor and video card - I've been planning for this for some time, but I don't expect this to be so soon, not to mention that I haven't prepared financially yet. 2 years old is still young for a desktop but well. May be it is time.
Old 09-10-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you try clearing/resetting the bios/cmos thing on the motherboard. I had to do that a few times last week after upgrading my bios and trying to figure out the settings. I thought I really killed it with similar problems like you had after changing some settings but then I remembered about doing that. It might be something to try.
Old 09-12-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've done that also. I brought the PC to a service center the other day and they found out that the mobo had died - a few of the capacitor has gone busted. Bummer.

But on the other hand, I'll get a Core 2 Duo for an upgrade.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-13-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New computer. Happy face.