Reload this Page >

Trouble loading some websites

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-08-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe someone can help... We have Cox cable internet, connected to a Linksys wireless router. We have two notebooks that both are working completely fine and can load every webpage via wireless cards. This computer, a desktop, is connected to the Linksys router by ethernet cable. On this computer, we can access most webpages, but have trouble accessing some that require username/password to be entered. We can load ebay.com, but when we click to login the page does not load, as if it's not connected to an internet connection at all. The same with yahoo.com, where the main page will load but not the login page to enter username/password. We had no problem several days ago, and no changes since then. Any ideas?
Old 09-08-06, 07:17 PM

Sounds like something is blocking secure (https:// ) pages on the desktop pc. Both login pages you mentioned (ebay and yahoo) use a secure connection (as would most others normally.) These pages travel over port 443 (as opposed to port 80 for normal http:// ) so I would look into that (do you run any firewall software on that pc?) To rule out a wonky setting on the router, you should try plugging the high-speed connection directly into the desktop pc.

You also may want to check your browser settings (in Internet Explorer, go to tools, internet options, pick the 'advanced' tab, then scroll down to 'security' settings). You could try resetting them to default.

EDIT: I went into my IE options as described above, and unchecked USE SSL 2.0 and USE SSL 3.0, and then I had the exact same behavior you described. So find those settings and make sure they are checked.

Last edited by Geminix; 09-08-06 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-08-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, I went into the firewall settings and fixed it. Someone used my computer and reconfigured my firewall settings. I didn't think it was a problem because I had no problem accessing excite's webpage and checking my excite email account, or logging into here. Thanks Geminix, firewall was where to go.