Reload this Page >

Migrating HD from HP NC8230 to HP NC8430

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-08-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've built up a hard drive image to run on the HP NC8230 (lots of applications and configuration, and would love to avoid re-installing/re-setting up everything if possible), and need it to run on the new laptop offering from HP now.

Just wondering if Acronis can handle this hard drive migration from last year's HP model NC8230 to run on the current HP NC8430 laptop.

I have access to Ghost 8, and probably could get my hands Acronis as well from another part of the company.

The main hardware differences between the 2 models:

Video
NC8230: ATI card
NC8430: ATI card (newer)

Chipset
NC8230: Intel (925XE)
NC8430: Intel (ICH7)

Controller
NC8230: PATA
NC8430: SATA AHCI

NIC:
NC8230: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit (older)
NC8430: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit PCI-X

Any ideas on the easiest way to migrate from old to new laptop model?
Old 09-08-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've tried deleting the video driver and the controller in the hardware manager, and then ghosting the hard drive in that state, and then ghosting back that image to the new laptop, but when I boot it up, it shows the Windows XP screen for a few seconds, and then gives me a BSOD for a split second and then reboots and offers to boot up in safe mode/w/wo networking/normally. None of those options boot up enough for me to apply new drivers for the new hardware it encounters upon bootup now.
Old 09-08-06, 03:46 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You should probably add the NC8430: SATA AHCI driver to the existing OS before ghosting. The NC8430: Intel (ICH7) chipset drivers would be good ones to add too. And maybe disable the NC8230: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit (older) but that probably wouldn't be fatal that early in the boot process.
Old 09-08-06, 03:58 PM
X
Administrator

Come to think of it, I'm not sure just adding chipset drivers will do the trick without doing a Sysprep, and even then you'd probably have to map them out for it to know which drivers go with which hardware. I don't think the computer will search out the correct set of chipset drivers while booting. That's something you have to do manually when originally installing.
Old 09-08-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the SATA is what I think is tripping things up for me.
Old 09-08-06, 04:33 PM
X
Administrator

Due to the BSOD I'm more thinking chipset but you could start with the SATA (which may need the chipset drivers to even work).
Old 09-08-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How do I install the new driver packages (downloaded from HP) to the old laptop since I get incompatible hardware detected when I try adding the packages (which are simple executable installations)?
Old 09-08-06, 06:04 PM
X
Administrator

I don't know.

Adding a particular driver, like SATA, would be a matter of adding a device and then selecting the driver or just putting the driver in the correct system directory.

Chipset drivers are different and present the problem you're having. Even if you can find the command to just extract them and put them in the correct directory, unless you're going through a Sysprep process I doubt your system would know to use them.
Old 09-11-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I had no luck last Friday with conventional methods (sysprep, removing video/controller drivers), so I'm giving Acronis a shot. *fingers crossed*

Last edited by Patman; 09-11-06 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-11-06, 01:27 PM
X
Administrator

I was thinking about this a bit and wondered whether you could remove all the chipset drivers that you currently have installed. Then your install would look generic and XP shouldn't have a problem with it.
Old 09-11-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Acronis with UNIVERSAL RESTORE should be able to do it for you. I have moved images from a Dell D- Series latitude laptop to a Compaq desktop machine (meaning just about all hardware was radically different) and it worked out fine.

BUT - I have had issues with some hardware going to other hardware with Acronis universal restore. It is not perfect, but I would say you have a good 80% chance of it working out.

BTW - the hardware I have had most issues with was HP laptops Go figure...
Old 09-12-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I did try removing the chipset drivers on the Nc8230, but when I ghosted it, and then applied the image to the new laptop, I got the same result.

Well, I was able to use Acronis with Universal Restore to get it to work, (Hooray!) but after loading up all the drivers from the HP website, now I have only 2 pieces of hardware that have the dreaded Yellow "?" by them in the hardware device manager.

The first is a PCI Simple Communication Controller, which is supposedly the modem, but that device is already listed as having the correct driver loaded for it. I've even removed both the Agere modem, as well as the "?" item, and then installed the driver for the modem for the NC8430, and I get the same results (shows the Agere modem under "modem" and also the other "?" device). Ugh!

The second is a chipset device issue, but I've forgotten the exact name, so I'll have to provide that tomorrow.

Last edited by Patman; 09-12-06 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-12-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Patman

Do you have another laptop there with the factory load?

Map a drive to it from this machine, go to update driver for each device with the dreaded yellow, point the browse for the driver to c:\windows\inf on the machine with the factory load and it *SHOULD* locate the missing driver and install it for you.
Old 09-12-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I could give that a shot!
Old 09-12-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, good ol' Windows doesn't like sharing that particular folder's contents, so I just copied the "inf" folder contents to a USB flash drive, and then the needed "misc2" folder from the "SwSetup" folder where all of HP's drivers get dumped into during installation.

The ? devices ended up being:

Texas Instruments PCI GemCore Based Smart Card Controller

Infineon Trusted Platform Module

Whew!
Old 09-12-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, I usually use the C$ share, read my mind damn you!

Glad you got it figured out. I always do something with the orignal INF directory before I wipe a machine. It has been a time saver almost evertime.
Old 09-13-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I now know why the driver for the 2nd piece of hardware was so elusive, it's because they were installed if you installed the HP Protect Tools suite, and I tend to not do install that stuff unless there's a compelling reason for it.
Old 09-21-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate progress.

Now we are using the HP 8510p laptops (XP is the OS), and I shoehorned our HP NC8430 (XP) build via Acronis into the HP 8510p laptop (slipped in the new SATA controller driver), loaded up all the possible drivers on the HP site for the new model, and I've been snake-bit again with the "PCI Simple Communication Controller" driver issue again (The Infineon TPM driver doesn't fix the issue. Also, it can't find the "PCI Serial Port" driver, and I've come up dry with some searches on yahoo/google/hp for the time being.

I thought the issue might be the modem, but I've uninstalled the modem, and the other 2 Yellowed PCI ???? items, and then re-installed the modem driver package, but the Yellowed PCI ??? items still complain about not having the proper driver for it.

ARGH!

Last edited by Patman; 09-21-07 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-21-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know you hate to do this, but just call HP tech support, tell them your model and tell them what hardware is not identified and tell them to email you links to the drivers.
Old 09-24-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was not pretty. I did have to call HP and after about 20 minutes on the phone, a tech told me to uninstall all their embedded security package (a major pain! It comprised of 6 different pieces of software), reboot, and then re-install the stuff again. Then I was faced with their credential manager introducing a long wait between booting up and getting to the login screen, so then I have to remove the credential manger software in order to boot up in an acceptable amount of time. I hate HP's "security" crap!

Thanks for the nudge.

Last edited by Patman; 09-24-07 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-24-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman

Thanks for the nudge.
NP - I hate to call but even worse is RTFM

Here is another nudge, buy Dell
Old 09-24-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG
NP - I hate to call but even worse is RTFM

Here is another nudge, buy Dell
That ain't happening due to worldwide corporate deals that have us in bed with HP.
Old 09-24-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Darnit, the "fix" half-worked work (one of the 2 problems came back under a different user account), so it's back to square one (or I need to figure out if I need to uninstall more stuff). Bah!
Old 09-25-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It ended up that I had to install the 2 Intel AMT drivers (for MEI, and the other for SOL) to get rid of the 2 hardware driver errors. Why couldn't the HP tech support just tell me that when I called last Friday? Gah! I've unloaded all the Protect Tool bits for nuthin'!!!