Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for a NEW PC - what to look for?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-08-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I might be in the market for a new PC after my recent ordeal. Just curious what to look for. What processors are good? I haven't kept up on them recently. INTEL, AMD, what's the best? Dual Core? What is all this crazy stuff ?

SEE POST #10 for my update.

I mainly use my PC for Internet, a few games (Madden 07 and a couple more) and music burning.

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 03-07-07 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-08-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Dell, they have some good entry level bundles.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs
Old 09-08-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I like Dell, they have some good entry level bundles.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs
Don't most LOATHE Celeron processors?
Old 09-08-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Don't most LOATHE Celeron processors?
Sorry, I don't get that worked up about things like that. Based on what you said you were going to use it for I thought it would be fine.
Old 09-08-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the help though...I'll keep looking. I guess I like to have BETTER than I usually need, just incase I want to do something more processor heavy.
Old 09-08-06, 01:57 PM
Retired

You can build a pretty decent system by customizing the Dell Dimension E510 and using a coupon.

I just did that in June, and love my system. I got the 3.2ghz dual core and a gig of RAM. Didn't up the video card since I don't play PC games. Got the best 17" non-widescreen monitor they have along with it for $800 something after a coupon.
Old 09-08-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I was looking there....I think mine came out to around $700 shipped (no monitor).

What are GOOD Dell coupons? Back in the day I used a $750 off $1500 for a laptop. I can get it through EPP also, but I noticed that sometimes the normal Dell coupons are better.
Old 09-11-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DJ look on eBay if you want to find some of those good Dell coupons. The best one out now I believe is $350 off a Dimension $999 or more.
Old 09-11-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is a dell coupon site: http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm
Old 03-07-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, sorry to bump an old thread...but I think NOW I'm finally in the market for a new PC....what should I look for?

AMD vs Intel? Dual Core? I'm a bit clueless as what is the best to look for. I'll be doing some video editing (video camera) and some other stuff. Nothing really gaming intense, but I want something with some speed. Something that can eventually run Vista smoothly.
Old 03-07-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
....what should I look for?
The search button, it has recently been hashed out in 2 threads at least
Old 03-07-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get Dual Core, there isnt any reason not to. Intel is faster (as of now) but AMD is cheaper. Dual Core owns video editing. You shouldnt have any problems with either choice.
Old 03-07-07, 03:15 PM

I've got to think most computers you're going to find now will be dual core of some sort, be it AMD Athlon 64 X2 or the Intel Core 2 Duo.

The Intel chips are newer, but I don't think that's any reason not to consider the AMD systems. Basically, the higher the number, the faster the processor. My 4200 is at 2.2 Ghz. In combo with my graphics card (more below), I've run the "system killers" like FEAR, Far Cry and Doom 3 full tilt with ease. Daily and routine tasks are a snap.

Since I bought mine, you could probably easily get a 4600 (2.4 Ghz) or 5000 (2.6 Ghz) for the same money.

For memory, I would set sights at 2 GB. One may be enough, but two is better, and where you'd end up at sooner or later, anyway. I'm told there's not much need for more than two.

With the AMD, you'll want to look for DDR2 memory. That means it's on the newer AM2 board.

Hard drive space - I think they're all pretty much huge.

Graphics. This may get trickier. Most integrated sets aren't going to do that well for games or Vista. Some systems may come with a separate graphics card, or you may just have to figure in the cost of buying a separate card, either as an upgrade when you buy the PC, or do it yourself after you buy it.

I bought a separate graphics card (the Nvidia 7900 GS PCI-E) after I bought my PC. To do that, I also had to upgrade my power supply. It was simple all around. I would highly recommend my card - it's got power, and it's not outrageously expensive. Don't know much about equivalent ATI cards.

I've been happy with my HP purchase, so I'd recommend giving them a look. I know Dell is trendy, but I just don't "get it."

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 03-07-07 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the reply....I've been looking at Dell and HP (as I get a discount through work, but not that great). I'll keep looking for a GREAT deal....hopefully I find something that meets my needs.

I was thinking abotu piecing something together, but it ends up costing more in the long run.
Old 03-07-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dell had a deal recently for a nicely loaded 9200, core2duo, etc for $780 with a 22" widescreen monitor.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...&keyword1=dell
Old 03-07-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Dell had a deal recently for a nicely loaded 9200, core2duo, etc for $780 with a 22" widescreen monitor.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...&keyword1=dell
Thanks...I'll keep an eye out. Nice monitor, but I don't need one (using a 26" LCD currently on my setup)
Old 03-07-07, 06:47 PM

My deal was $850 after rebates, after Thanksgiving special at CCity, for the rig you see below. The speakers, graphics card and power supply were additional.

That Dell above... only has Vista Basic. Only an 80 gig hd.