Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a WD My Book external hard drive?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-07-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up three WD 500GB My Books on sale at Best Buy last week and they work well though the auto-power on/off feature is annoying me. I just use them for backups/archiving and don't want them on all the time, but there seems to be no way to disable this feature. I'd like to power them on off manually with the power button that is on the front of the enclosures. I tried googling to no avail and I have yet to hear back from WD support on this. Another annoyance is that the drives spin down after a little while (no way to disable this according to the WD FAQ), which is fine except that everytime I access explorer or an open/save dialog box that allows you to browse the damn things spin up again.

Any ideas or workarounds on this?
Old 09-07-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm. I have a My Book as well and have had no problem with manually shutting it off. It's a 250gb one.
Old 09-07-06, 11:40 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If powering down by itself and having to wait for it to power up to use Explorer is the best it can do I'm glad I didn't get one. That "feature" would drive me crazy!

I was looking at them since I have the 30% off coupon and that made them a reasonable price. Only having USB stopped me though. You'd think for that price they could have included Firewire.
Old 09-07-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
Hmm. I have a My Book as well and have had no problem with manually shutting it off. It's a 250gb one.
Yeah, I have no problem turning them off when they're already on, though I want to stop it from turning on automatically when I turn on my computer.

The spin-down explorer thing is a bit annoying. I'm wondering if hiding the drive letters would get around this? Since I only use them occassionally, I wouldn't mind typing the drive letter into the address bar to access them when needed.

I usually just make these things myself with external cases, but $200 (no 30% coupon for me ) is a pretty decent price for a 500GB hard drive with an enclosure already (though, as X mentioned, I would've liked firewire as well.) If this can't be resolved I'll just have to bite it and buy external cases and take the drives out of the WD ones.
Old 09-07-06, 12:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think hiding the drive letters would work. Explorer wouldn't look for them each time that way.