Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Reinstalling XP, having major issues. Help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-07-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite having plenty of security protection installed on my computer, running smoothly and up to date: I got a serious trojan over the weekend.

Long story short: after all kinds of attempts to fix things, I could no longer boot into Windows.

I'm trying to reinstall a fresh copy of XP and after the menu where it states the three options (install, repair, exit) and install was selected, it states "hard drive not found" and then the only option is to reboot.

BIOS states everything is there: SATA hard drive, optical drives, etc.

I downloaded the Seagate disc utility to wipe the drive clean and start from scratch. It supposedly reinstalled whatever it was missing.

Yet, I'm still not getting any further with the XP install than that "hard drive not found" blue screen.

Please help!

(I'm at work now, but I do have a laptop at home with web connection to download whatever is needed. I also have the Ultimate Boot CD if that's going to help any---I just don't know what might be on there I would need to use!)
Old 09-07-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

sure you don't need to hit f6 and install a third party raid driver with that motherboard to get xp to install?

i've seen xp get all the way through setup to boot up with a similar error because it couldn't load the drivers for the controller. check your mobo manual.
Old 09-07-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I certainly saw that third party F6 thing pop up right away, but I can't answer if that's what I need here.
Old 09-07-06, 09:05 AM

It's possible if you need the third party driver for SATA. If it's an original XP disc, it didn't have serial ATA support and you'll need to load the drivers for XP to recognize the hard drive.
Old 09-07-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, definitely sounds like you need the SATA drivers.
Old 09-07-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's certainly an original XP disc. My computer didn't come with a Windows install disc, I had to dig out a pretty old one.

I'll give that a shot.

Edit: OK, I really don't want to screw this up and I've never even remotely done this next step.

Obviously, I need to find the right SATA drivers. How do I go about doing that? Do I need information from the BIOS to find the motherboard manufacturer and then download from there? Where would it say in BIOS what I need? Or am I off-base with this route?

Last edited by Chew; 09-07-06 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-07-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll third the SATA theory. Usually the mobo manufacturers website will have the sata drivers for download, just add them with F6 etc as outlined. You can also try and find a win xp cd with sp 2 included, should solve it for you as well in most cases.
Old 09-07-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was looking a site where it tells you how to "slipstream" a install disc that includes my original install disc and SP2 updates.
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html

If that's the case, I shouldn't have to worry about finding who the motherboard manufacturer is for those SATA drivers?
Old 09-07-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
I was looking a site where it tells you how to "slipstream" a install disc that includes my original install disc and SP2 updates.
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html

If that's the case, I shouldn't have to worry about finding who the motherboard manufacturer is for those SATA drivers?
Maybe, maybe not. Slipstreaming is a nice time saving feature if you are going to image a lot of computers, and I'd say it has a 30%ish chance of fixing your problem.

Loading drivers is a pretty easy thing to do, your motherboard manufacturer or hard drive manufacturer should have files available that boot up and install the drives for you.
Old 09-07-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Loading drivers is a pretty easy thing to do, your motherboard manufacturer or hard drive manufacturer should have files available that boot up and install the drives for you.
It'll save a lot of time just going this route.

But, can we go back to my original question? I don't know where in BIOS to find out my motherboard manufacturer information. It's a Dell computer, if that matters.

The Seagate website directed me to about five different links when I was searching for SATA drivers, they apparently don't have them available.
Old 09-07-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It'll save a lot of time just going this route.

But, can we go back to my original question? I don't know where in BIOS to find out my motherboard manufacturer information. It's a Dell computer, if that matters.

The Seagate website directed me to about five different links when I was searching for SATA drivers, they apparently don't have them available.

Dell's website should have all that good stuff, no need to find your manufacturer's identity. I believe you only need to type in your serial or machine number in to Dell's tech support page to get all the information you need.

http://support.dell.com/support/down...=19&l=en&s=dhs
Old 09-07-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, that makes sense. Forgot all about that.

Hopefully, that takes care of the problem. (Otherwise, I'll be back!)

Thanks to everybody for suggestions and help.
Old 09-07-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing ever seems to work right when I try to fix things.

I hit F6 to load the new driver....nothing happened. I tried again by holding it down, then again with constantly rehitting it. Nada.

Each time it just kept going. The next option was to hit F2 to do something. That works right away.

I don't even have the floppy in the drive when I'm hitting the F6 (per the instructions).

This sucks.

Edit This solved the problem:

Change the SATA Operation setting in the BIOS from RAID Autodetect / AHCI, the factory default setting, to RAID Autodetect / ATA.
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...4A4&l=en&s=dhs

Last edited by Chew; 09-07-06 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if i remember right you boot off the CD, hit F6 when promted, it keeps on loading crap for a while until it prompts you for a disk. you put in the floppy, it reads it and then loads the driver.

do you have RAID? I think you only need the disk if you have RAID. My nforce5 mobo is coming in tomorrow but i glanced at the manual and it talks about loading the driver only if you have RAID.
Old 09-08-06, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice Find, I had an issue a couple weeks ago with an IBM laptop with SATA, I believe this would have fixed the issue.
Old 09-08-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my stupid asus board has 2 raid controllers on board. they are supposed to function as simple sata controllers when only 1 drive is connected.

after pulling out much of my hair, i read in a forum that the only way to make the board work is to enable the raid controllers and load the raid drivers, even with single drives. pain in the butt.
Old 09-11-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I have XP back up and running fairly smoothly. It's been a pain to find all the necessary drivers though (even support for my system on the Dell site results in driver installation errors).

Now, the only thing I'm having a problem with is USB. When I knew my OS was beyond repair, I transfered a lot of files (like 20gb+) to an external drive in safe mode. I don't remember how long it took, but it wasn't real long. Now I'm trying to transfer them back and it's telling me 4+ hours! The device manager tells me all of the USB ports I have are "standard", which I guess means 1.1.

Are there 2.0 drivers out there I need? My System Support at Dell.com doesn't help with this one.
Old 09-11-06, 10:45 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you install Service Pack 1 or 2 yet? You better have and the USB 2.0 drivers are in there.
Old 09-11-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
Did you install Service Pack 1 or 2 yet? You better have and the USB 2.0 drivers are in there.
The very first thing I did was all of the Windows updates, including SP2 (took about 6 reboots to install everything).

Well, that's just weird then. Maybe I need a seperate 2.0 card.