Reload this Page >

uTorrent seems to be acting strange with Zone Alarm Firewall

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-06-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using uTorrent 1.6 and Zone Alarm Suite 6.

My torrent speeds have been slow lately and I wondered if it might be the firewall. So I turn off ZA watch the torrent speeds, and turn it back on. It doesn't seem to affect the speed but when I turn ZA back in it asks me if I want to allow outbound traffic for a particular program. I did this 4 times and here is what happened.

1st. Outgoing alert comes up and the application name is not listed. I deny this twice and uTorrent grinds to a halt.

2nd. Same message again but an .exe is listed as the application. I can't remember the name but it didn't sound familiar so I denied again and uTorrent was slowed to a stop again.

3rd. Same message but with a different application name called nyclient.exe. While the message is up I google this application name and notice that uTorrent is totally locked up. Google finds nothing on this name. I allow it and uTorrent is unfrozen and I see a massive spike in it's speed for a second, then it goes back down to my normal slow download speed.

4th. Same message but the application is listed as being called able="true"/>. I google this the same as I did the last with the same effect on uTorrent. Found nothing on google.

I thought uTorrent was supposed to be a crap free program. What's going on? I have the latest virus and spyware definitions for ZA. Is there another good free/trial spyware program I can try? Maybe even an online scan of some type.

Or anyone know what's going on?
Old 09-06-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you have a router? You may need to forward the utorrent ports on the router. It helped my speeds greatly with BitComet. www.portforward.com will tell you how.
Old 09-06-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes I have that enabled on my router. Tested it through uTorrent and confirmed that it's done.