Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

New 24" iMac

Old 09-06-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New 24" iMac

http://www.apple.com/imac

All in the family

The fastest iMac ever, the 24-inch iMac provides professional performance along with the convenience of an all-in-one design. Like its 17-inch and 20-inch siblings, it features the new 64-bit Intel Core 2 Duo processor with speeds ranging from 1.83GHz to 2.33GHz. The new processor delivers up to 50% more performance than the previous 20-inch iMac. It also doubles the amount of L2 cache, the twin cores sharing 4MB between them. The result? Turbocharged performance, making it easier — and more fun — than ever to work with digital photos, movies, music, and the web.
  • 24-inch widescreen LCD
  • 1920x1200 resolution
  • 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor1
  • 4MB shared L2 cache
  • 1GB memory (2x512MB SO-DIMM)
  • 250GB Serial ATA hard drive2
  • 8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL, DVD±RW, CD-RW)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with 128MB GDDR3 memory
  • Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
  • Apple Remote

List price of $1999 and an academic price of $1899.

Originally Posted by MacNN
Apple's new 24-inch iMac features a screen resolution large enough to display 1080p or 1080i HDTV without downsampling, according to The HDTV Tuner...
Here's the article behind the news:
http://www.the-hdtv-tuner.com/apple-24in-imac.html

I just might have to upgrade.
Old 09-06-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good.
Old 09-06-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the 20" Core Duo iMac when they were first released and I love it. Easily the best computer I've ever had with some great built-to-order options (2GB RAM and 256MB ATI graphics card pre-installed). Now seeing the specs on the 24" iMac and the resolution of the display, I want to jump ship. It has nearly the same power as the MacPro except for the processor speeds for the same price and you even get a monitor.

What pisses me off the most is that the new 20" iMac's specs took the resell value of my Core Duo and dropped it through the fucking floor.
Old 09-06-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a 20" iMac last summer (2005). It's a G5, but I love it.

My department might buy a 24" iMac and test it with BootCamp and see how the design apps work on it and maybe, when we roll over one of the labs this summer, we'll stock it with twenty 24" iMacs with XP and the Adobe and Macromedia Apps.

... and I might be the one to play with the 24" iMac and test it out! w00t!
Old 09-06-06, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I bought the 20" Core Duo iMac when they were first released and I love it. Easily the best computer I've ever had with some great built-to-order options (2GB RAM and 256MB ATI graphics card pre-installed). Now seeing the specs on the 24" iMac and the resolution of the display, I want to jump ship. It has nearly the same power as the MacPro except for the processor speeds for the same price and you even get a monitor.

What pisses me off the most is that the new 20" iMac's specs took the resell value of my Core Duo and dropped it through the fucking floor.
Well, I'm in the same boat. But, it may be possible that someone may eventually offer a service to upgrade to Merom processor (faster, cooler, same pinout as Yonah) in my iMac. I definitely don't want to attempt it myself. Other than that, I'm still diggin' on my Core Duo 20".
Old 09-07-06, 02:34 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man, I was just about to buy our 2nd 20" iMac in less than a year and now this! Four more inches of HD bliss.

I'm gonna drop kick the one I'm on now into the kitchen for the family to use and pull the trigger on this bad boy.

Damn I wish i hadn't clicked on Tech Talk today, $400 more... but I gotta have it!
Old 09-08-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm ordering the 20". I've been waiting on the price drop.

20" with 256MB video upgrade and bluetooth keyboard/mouse. $1521 with educational discount. (1GB of RAM standard. ) PLUS a free iPod nano with purchase.

This is the perfect machine for the family room. Its looks cool and will have a single wire.