Reload this Page >

Stupid laptop RAM upgrade question....

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-05-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I know desktop computers fairly well. I've done many, many upgrades before. But, I just got a cheapie Gateway laptop (MX-6429) that BB had on sale this weekend and am looking to upgrade the RAM. I haven't cracked this thing open yet, but when I do I'm looking to add RAM. So, is this only going to have one slot or multiple? It came w/ 512 MB, and I'm looking to double it. Not sure if I need to just buy another 512 MB or need a full gig and swap out the original RAM.
Old 09-05-06, 03:27 PM
X
Administrator

If it runs dual channel you're better off trying to match the existing RAM and using two 512s.

You're gonna have to open it up to do that. And it's gonna be as easy to look at how many slots you have and how they're populated as it would be to look it up. Maybe you already have 2 256s.
Old 09-05-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

According to the Gateway specs, it requires PC2700 DDR SODIMM. So, if it's paired already, buying 2 512's is the way to go, huh?
Old 09-05-06, 03:59 PM
X
Administrator

If you want a gigabyte and if it has two slots and if it doesn't already have a single 512 installed.
Old 09-05-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did some checking and is this what you got?

Gateway - AMD Turion™ 64 Notebook MX6429
Efficient processing comes standard on this notebook computer that features AMD Turion™ 64 mobile technology and built-in wireless LAN for a high-speed Internet connection without cords or wires.
Product Views

AMD Turion™ 64 mobile technology ML-32* for AMD64 performance in a thin-and-light design; HyperTransport™ and AMD PowerNow!™ technologies and Enhanced Virus Protection for Windows XP SP2

512MB PC2700 DDR memory for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media

Product Details
Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year
Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year
Product Height 1.4"
Product Width 14.1"
Product Weight 6.3 lbs.
Product Depth 10.4"
Processor Brand AMD Turion(TM) 64
Processor Speed 1.8GHz
Display Type WXGA widescreen TFT-LCD with Ultrabright technology
Screen Size 15.4"
System Bus Up to 1600MHz
Cache Memory 512KB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM) 512MB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 2GB
Type of Memory (RAM) PC2700 DDR
Hard Drive Type Parallel ATA (4200 rpm)
Hard Drive Size 60GB
Optical Drive Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
Optical Drive Speeds 2.4x max. DVD+R DL; 2x max. DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW; 24x16x24 CD-RW
LightScribe Compatibility No
Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader
Diskette Drive Type No
Video Memory Up to 128MB (shared)
Personal Video Recorder (PVR) No
TV Tuner No
MPEG Yes
Modem 56 Kbps* ITU V.92 *Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.
Networking Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Networking Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
S-Video Outputs None
Audio AC '97 2.3-compliant 2-channel audio
Speakers Built-in
PCMCIA Slots 1 Type I/Type II with CardBus support
USB 2.0 Ports 4
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports 1
Parallel Ports None
Serial Ports None
Game Ports None
Notebook Weight Standard (more than 6 lbs.
Battery Type 6-cell lithium-ion
Pointing Device Touchpad with vertical scroll zone
Operating System Windows XP Home SP2
Included Software Microsoft Works 8.5, Money 2006, Digital Image Starter Edition 2006, Windows Media Player; Adobe Reader 7; CyberLink PowerDVD, Power2Go; RealNetworks RealPlayer; QuickTime and more

That is a pretty good system for the price! Since it comes with 256MB RAM and is upgradeable to 2 GB that tells me there is only one chip. Usually the installed RAM chip is under the keyboard and the open slot is under the laptop, I would check there first. However on these new widescreen laptops I have been seeing both RAM chips installed under the keyboard.

Before you buy 2 chips I would find out how many RAM chips you do have. Also I don't see why you would have to install 2 identical RAM chips as I have not had to that for a couple years, and I would reccomend you buy a 1 GB chip. (This will help greatly with Windows Vista!) Even if the two chips don't work together you can take out the 512 and sell it on Ebay and have an extra slot to upgrade.

Last edited by Lateralus; 09-05-06 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-05-06, 09:42 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Before you buy 2 chips I would find out how many RAM chips you do have. Also I don't see why you would have to install 2 identical RAM chips as I have not had to that for a couple years, and I would reccomend you buy a 1 GB chip. (This will help greatly with Windows Vista!) Even if the two chips don't work together you can take out the 512 and sell it on Ebay and have an extra slot to upgrade.
Totally depends on whether it is capable of dual-channel operation. If it is, and you want to get the extra speed that provides, you're going to need two fairly closely matched RAM modules.
Old 09-05-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Totally depends on whether it is capable of dual-channel operation. If it is, and you want to get the extra speed that provides, you're going to need two fairly closely matched RAM modules.
I should do some testing on my laptop inventory, most of my laptops have two identical chips but I have a couple with mixed chips and I did not see any difference in speed. My personal laptop has two different chips, I was thinking about upgrading anyway.

I would still go with the (2) 1 Gig chips if he can afford it.
Old 09-05-06, 10:49 PM
X
Administrator

I wouldn't spend much extra money on dual-channel myself. It only adds about 5% to the overall speed so I wouldn't spend more than about 5% on the RAM unless squeezing out every bit of performance was really necessary.