Reload this Page >

MacBook Pro Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

MacBook Pro Question

Old 09-03-06, 12:51 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MacBook Pro Question

I just got a MacBook Pro for college. I have to rent it from my school for $1600 Canadian per year, for the three years of my course. Then, at the end, we get to buy it for $1, supposedly. I definitely plan to do that, because I love this thing.

Anyways, my question has to do with a power outage...

I have the laptop plugged into a power outlet, because I have minimal battery life left, and I need to charge it. I have a wireless router that's plugged in in another room.

What happened was that, while I was using it tonight, the power went out for a second, and then came back on immediately after. The MacBook never turned off, but I got a notification message, saying that I had lost connection to the internet (my router ended up turning off with the power going out, obviously.)

I guess the MacBook must have a function that allows it to revert to battery power, once a power source is taken away - is that correct? I think you can unplug the power cord when it's on, if you want to revert to battery power, or you can plug it in while the laptop is in use.

I'm just worried that I did some damage to the battery or something? Is that possible?
Old 09-03-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's normal for you to be able to plug-in or unplug the power while the computer is running. So, yes if the power goes out it will automatically switch to battery.
Old 09-03-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah that feature is on just about every laptop ever made.
Old 09-03-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup.. you're cool. nice thing about notebooks (the macbook is not a laptop according to apple) - of course your internet went with the router.
Old 09-03-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Wick
I just got a MacBook Pro for college. I have to rent it from my school for $1600 Canadian per year, for the three years of my course. Then, at the end, we get to buy it for $1, supposedly. I definitely plan to do that, because I love this thing.
OK, I put together a 17" Macbook Pro on the Canadian store. The only options that made the computer more expensive were memory and Apple Care. I did the max on both. It came to $3800 Canadian. That's $1200 a year. Can you just buy one?
Old 09-04-06, 02:11 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Thanks for all of the replies - I appreciate it. I'm really anal when it comes to my stuff, so it worried me when the power flicked off and then back on. I figured it was a stupid question to ask, but whatever.

Shaun: I wish I could just buy one, because it's incredibly expensive to rent one from my college. Their reasoning behind only allowing you to rent one is that the program requires $1800 worth of software, and they change some of it each summer for you (you hand it in for a few days, and they reformat it and such.) They also give you "free" maintenance whenever you need it, as well as $1000 worth of a deductable for insurance, although it's only a one-time thing. At least we get to buy them for a dollar at the end of our course...
Old 09-04-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're blatantly ripping you off. Do you HAVE to get your computer from your school? Could you perhaps go to a different school? One thing that pisses me off is when I'm paying a school tens of thousands of dollars and they turn around and make up some lame story just to force more money out of me.
Old 09-04-06, 08:31 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Yeah, we have to get it from our school. They say we have to because of the specific programs and the fact that they update the computers every summer. I know it's bullshit, but it's the school I want to go to because it's close to my house and it's easy to get to. Plus, it's got a great Advertising program (taking it for the film/photography/computer courses.)

My parents are pretty irate about the laptop, as they're helping with the college bills.
Old 09-05-06, 12:59 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I have another question to ask about this thing, as something else that really worries me, just happened.

I haven't used this since the other night, when the power went out. I had it shut down and put away in the laptop backpack that my school gave me. I always turn it off and put it away whenever I'm done using it.

Anyways, I turned it on about thirty minutes ago, and I logged on. Everything seemed to be working perfectly fine when I did that. I then added a new widget and connected to my wireless network. I went online and Netscape worked perfectly fine - however, when I attempted to open PhotoBooth, MSN and Disk Utilities, none of them worked. MSN was the only one that didn't bounce.

I decided that I'd just restart it and see if it worked after that. I did that, and it now works fine. I got an error message saying that MSN had screwed up, but that was it. I haven't had any problems since I restarted.

What could be the cause of that?
Old 09-05-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Restarting fixes all your problems, (sometimes) even on a Mac. Who knows what it was.

That sucks about the school. What they are doing seems like it should be illegal...
Old 09-05-06, 01:51 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm pretty sure that it was just MSN fucking up, because it wasn't working well all night. It's also the only program that gave me an error, when I had that problem.

I hope we can buy these laptops, but I don't know. They supposedly only sell certain models for $1. I think they might want $500 for these. I sure as Hell hope not, though.