Reload this Page >

I think I messed up my CPU

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-02-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was switching my AMD64 3500's heatsink and fan. As I pulled up on the old heatsink, the CPU was still stuck to the heatsink. I had to push forcefully, and it dropped a foot onto my carpet. It's pretty soft carpet---but obviously this isn't good. Anyway, so there's nothing I can really do at this point, so I continue installing a Thermaltake heatsink/fan with Arctic Silver 5.

The computer starts up--doesn't boot--and the motherboard (an MSI) is making a loud beeping noise. Obviously, not a good sign. Any ideas?

(At this point, I'm really wishing I hadn't bothered switching heatsinks/fans. So it goes. At least the chip is cheap to replace now.)
Old 09-02-06, 07:46 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The CPU dropped a foot by itself onto carpet? I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 09-02-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright, so the beeping has stopped. Everything seems to be running, but it still won't post.

Strange occurence: the digital drives' (a DVD-ROM and CD-R drive) lights continually blink.

I'm really at a loss.

Last edited by Corvin; 09-02-06 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-02-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by X
The CPU dropped a foot by itself onto carpet? I wouldn't worry about that.
What about static from the carpet?
Old 09-02-06, 10:46 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, it's not winter where that's more of a concern. But I really don't think that would be a problem unless you shuffled your feet across several feet of carpet, trying to build up a charge and then picked up the CPU and grounded it to the case.

That would be way down on my list of possibilities. Incorrect installation is way up on my list of possibilities.
Old 09-02-06, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Pop it back out and check all of the pins against a plastic straight edge. A bent pin (more likely from the reinstall than drop) causes havoc.

Very doubtful the foot fall on a carpet did any damage. Also, might wanna try the old heatsink/fan to rule out that the new one in not functioning properly and causing problems.
Old 09-03-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking that it's a bent pin. Can those be, for lack of a better term, "unbent"? I'm not sure how I could have installed it incorrectly---there isn't much to boggle.

...ironic I should be saying that when my computer can't post.
Old 09-03-06, 12:32 AM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Corvin
I'm thinking that it's a bent pin. Can those be, for lack of a better term, "unbent"? I'm not sure how I could have installed it incorrectly---there isn't much to boggle.

...ironic I should be saying that when my computer can't post.
I've bent pins on 2 CPUs during installation (over many of installs). Many reasons how it could happen, but if they aren't quite aligned going in before you lock it down, it can get messed up.

A thin but rigid plastic straight edge will help getting it back in order if there is a problem. Small needle nose pliers can be used to get it back straight up if you do find a problem.

I've also heard of people sticking the CPU into a loose block of clay (slightly) and looking at the pattern to see if there are any pin misalignments. I've never tried that.

Just some thoughts, may not even be your problem, but it's simple to check...
Old 09-03-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Cow. There were about five bent pins. I used a very fine knife to get them pretty straight. The computer is working now. Yipee. I had to apply Arctic Silver 5 three times---I wonder what that will do to my CPU temps. So it goes.
Old 09-03-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Corvin
I had to apply Arctic Silver 5 three times---
You should have cleaned the CPU off completely with alcohol and a lint free cloth between each application. If you didn't do that, then your temps will most likely be higher (unless you never had a clean install to start with, then it will be as it always was).

bent pins are nothing to worry about once fixed, unless they lead to broken pins
Old 09-03-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
You should have cleaned the CPU off completely with alcohol and a lint free cloth between each application. If you didn't do that, then your temps will most likely be higher (unless you never had a clean install to start with, then it will be as it always was).

bent pins are nothing to worry about once fixed, unless they lead to broken pins
I cleaned both the CPU and the heatsink off with 91% isopropyl alcohol, so hopefully I'll be fine.
Old 09-03-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

About my temps: after switching from the stock AMD heatsink & fan to a Thermaltake heatsink & fan with AS5, my temps have dropped about 10 degrees. I'm impressed.