Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

High Definition Discs on Imac

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-02-06, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Intel Core Duo IMAC. The DvdPlayer and system preferences are set up to play high definition discs, but the dvd drive will not read HD discs. Is there a way that I can play these discs on my Imac? Can I purchase an external player? As I just purchased the computer, I don't know want to switch dvd drives as that would invalidate my warranty/protection plan.
Old 09-02-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently you don't have an HD drive.
Old 09-02-06, 01:22 AM

I know I don't have a HD drive. I'm wanting to know if I can play the disc with an external player without changing the drive. Can a regular HD dvd player be hooked up to play the discs?
Old 09-02-06, 05:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cmleidi
I know I don't have a HD drive. I'm wanting to know if I can play the disc with an external player without changing the drive. Can a regular HD dvd player be hooked up to play the discs?
no.
Old 09-02-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would presume that you would need to get a hold of an external HD-DVD drive for the PC. I believe HP are bringing the pc drives out soon. Whether they will be available as seperate drives or only inside their machine (like Toshiba have done) I don't know.
Old 09-02-06, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by fmian
I would presume that you would need to get a hold of an external HD-DVD drive for the PC. I believe HP are bringing the pc drives out soon. Whether they will be available as seperate drives or only inside their machine (like Toshiba have done) I don't know.
As far as I know HP will supply external HD-DVD drive for PC in a month or two, but I think it will be quite expensive...
Old 09-02-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmleidi
Ahhhh. Ok, my mistake. You're saying your EXTERNAL DVD PLAYER does not play HD discs but your INTERNAL IMAC HD PLAYER...does.

Does your imac have component inputs so it can except an external signal?