Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Vista Pre-RC1 Release

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Vista Pre-RC1 Release

Old 09-01-06, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vista Pre-RC1 Release

I got in on the 100K downloads MS was allowing for the Pre-RC1 release of vista. I went to install it and it is asking for an activation key. I think I can go on without it, but there is a warning there about limited use...

Anyone know if the activation key is needed? I don't see the key on the CD or in any of the documentation.
Old 09-01-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You have to use the key you used for Beta 2 that you got from Microsoft when you signed up to be a Beta 2 tester. If you weren't a Beta 2 tester you're screwed. I installed it as well thinking I could use it for longer than 14 days but I don't have a key code so I'm screwed with ya! There have been some reports on HardForum that even some Beta 2 keys don't work. So who knows. But so far this release of Vista is running awsome on my PC.
Old 09-01-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will RC1 be public or do I have to sign up somewhere? I'd like to try it, I'm probably building a new PC this weekend.
Old 09-01-06, 01:38 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this pre-RC1 the same as Vista August 2006 CTP build 5536?
Old 09-01-06, 01:40 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Answered my own question...

Microsoft late Thursday began distributing the newest build of Windows Vista to a select circle of testers. The new version, dubbed "Pre-RC1" by the Redmond, Wash. developer, immediately got the thumbs-up from several prominent Windows enthusiast sites.

Officially pegged as Build 5536.16385, the preview of Release Candidate 1 (RC1) marks significant progress toward the final, Microsoft claimed. "We have made a lot of progress since Beta 2 and 5472, and we think you will notice the quality improvements that we've been seeing in the daily builds," wrote Nick White, a Vista program manager, on the group's blog.
Old 09-01-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just an fyi, RC1 build 5600 was released today. I don't know if it's just released to developers or to public at large.
Old 09-01-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was released on Connect today. It will be released to MSDN subscribers next week and "shortly thereafter" to the general public.

http://blogs.technet.com/windowsvist...01/453491.aspx