Reload this Page >

Help me get my grandfather CD/DVD burning software

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-31-06, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My grandfather would like to be able to copy his cd and dvd roms. I'm in the process of looking for a burner and the appropiate software. Now I know Nero and Roxio are the two big main software companies out there. I"m not necessarily looking for the best, but the easiest to use for a senior citizen who's not the most computer savy(he's not even on the net). He's not going to make music cd's or anything like that, just copy his cd's and dvd's that he already owns. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-31-06, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Clone CD is about as simple and user friendly as it gets.
Old 08-31-06, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread is required reading on the subject.
Old 08-31-06, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
This thread is required reading on the subject.
I don't know if you posted that in refrence to my original post or Thrush, but if it does relate to me let me assure you that it's not for copying movies or anything like that. My grandfather is in his 80's and is one of these health nuts who is constantly getting audio cd's and dvd roms that relate to health issues and vitamins. Is it really illegal for him to copy his cd's/dvd's that he sends away for free anyways?

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 08-31-06 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A mod can chime in here, but I think CDs are generally OK because you're not breaking any kind of digital copy protection. I would assume if the DVD-ROMs are not copy-protected that would be OK too (again, a mod will have to weigh in).

But I wanted to point to that thread before anyone did post something about software to defeat copy protection for regular movie DVDs.

Clone CD and Clone DVD are good and simple, but are pretty much geared toward music and movies, respectively. They do not, in and of themselves, defeat copy protection and will only work with non-copy protected discs.

For just making copies of non-copy protected DVD-ROMs and CD-ROMs, in my experience Nero is the easiest, especially if you set it up to start with the Nero Express interface. Just a couple of button clicks will get you where you need to go.

Nero has gotten pretty bloated over the years, but you can also choose to not install some parts of it.

But the best part is that it's available as a fully-functional trial (I don't know if the trial is 15 days or 30 days any more). So really, you have nothing to lose. Give it a shot and see if it works for him.

If you decide to buy, you can usually find a decent deal on it every once in a while at places like Best Buy.
Old 09-01-06, 09:00 AM

When you buy a burner, Nero's OEM version usually comes with it. So you shouldn't need to buy any software. If he's not computer savy, he won't need all the extra stuff that comes with the retail version of Nero. The OEM version isn't a trial, so it doesn't expire. It will say on the burner's box, if Nero is included. It's included with LiteOns and many others................
Old 09-02-06, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by emoxley
When you buy a burner, Nero's OEM version usually comes with it. So you shouldn't need to buy any software. If he's not computer savy, he won't need all the extra stuff that comes with the retail version of Nero. The OEM version isn't a trial, so it doesn't expire. It will say on the burner's box, if Nero is included. It's included with LiteOns and many others................
Thanks for all your help. LOL. Turns out his computer had a dvd burner and it did come with the OEM of Nero. I showed him how to use it and we copied one of his health dvd's that he had. It was very easy and straight forward.