Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Tablet PC's

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Thoughts on Tablet PC's

Old 08-29-06, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on Tablet PC's

Before today I didn't even know these things existed. What are the advantages to these? I stumbled apon this while looking up some options for drawing pads for photoshop. Do they work well for drawing capabilities? This one looked pretty good to me.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satell...022543?ie=UTF8
Old 08-30-06, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've worked with a Tablet PC before. In short, I wasn't impressed. Windows clearly wasn't designed to be used with a tablet, and the pen input interface feels kind of tacked on as an afterthought. The onscreen keyboard is clumsy -- though to be fair, all onscreen keyboards are clumsy, so it's not really Microsoft's fault. The handwriting recognition works OK for short, common words; but for anything more complex (like entering Web or E-mail addresses) it's slow and inaccurate.

Basically, it makes for a nice unit to demo software (which is what I was using it for), but I wouldn't want to use it for day-to-day stuff without a keyboard and a mouse. (And if you're going to use a keyboard and a mouse, you can get a regular laptop for much cheaper.)

In your case, I can see it being useful for drawing -- but you have to consider whether it's worth the substantial price premium.