Reload this Page >

USB audio out?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

USB audio out?

Old 08-29-06, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB audio out?

i fried my audio out jack on the back of my computer. so i can now get no sound from the computer. i used my computer to burn rip all my cds and play it through the stereo. now with this problem i can't listen to any music, i long ago got rid of my cd player.

i suppose i could get a new audio out thingy, but i figure the cost of it and labor might run hugher than i can spare. so i'm wondering if there exists any USB device that could solve my problem for less money. i need to run a red/white jack out of the computer and into my stereo.

any ideas?

thanks.
Old 08-29-06, 06:44 AM

I have heard of usb speakers before, but don't know any brands, or where to buy. You can try a Google search for USB Speakers.

Sound cards are pretty cheap though, unless you get into the higher end 7.1 surround sound cards.

EDIT:
I did search........here is first link on the results page:
http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Speakers.html

Last edited by emoxley; 08-29-06 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-29-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm not really keen on upgrading my soundcard. i am trying to keep the cost as low as possible. as well, i pnly need stereo sound; no dvds or games played on my comp.

i don't know how soundcards are sold (what comes with them) but i believe my problem is only with the audio out jack, itself. i deon't kow if the jack and card are linked enough to be considered the whole thing.

i was thinking one could buy a new audio out terminal and it being seperate then the soundcard.
Old 08-29-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The audio jack is either connected to a PCI soundcard or built onto the mother board so you'd have to replace/disable the whole shebang. PCI soundcards can be had for well under $20 if you want to install it yourself (fairly easy). There is a USB soundcard device from Creative for $50 that will work as well, though it's probably overkill for you and will eat up some system resources.
Old 08-29-06, 11:45 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This looks interesting...

http://www.aocusa.com/pview.php?g=Mu...odel=USB-AUDIO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829612001
Old 08-29-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a usb sound output that came with a sony minidisk recorder. It works great.
Old 08-29-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found some USB audio adapters, starting at $20 at http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Sound.html. But for that price, it's still cheaper to install a new sound card yourself, if you're trying to minimize the expense.

I'm questioning the audio jack on the comp being "fried". There's so many causes to consider. Did you...
...test the jack with another set of speakers or headphones to make sure it's not the speakers?
...check your sound options to make sure volume was set high enough or not muted?
...check any other sources of muting? My keyboard has volume and muting controls on it.
...make sure your sound card is showing up ok in device manager?
...reinstall sound card drivers?
...make sure the sound card is still active in the BIOS if it is onboard the motherboard?
Old 08-31-06, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for all the replies. i'm not techy enough to install a soundcard, so; while that might be the cheapest solution but i'd also have to pay whoever to install it. therefore a USB might be cheaper, thanks for the links to check out.

Originally Posted by RKillgore
I'm questioning the audio jack on the comp being "fried". There's so many causes to consider. Did you...
...test the jack with another set of speakers or headphones to make sure it's not the speakers?
...check your sound options to make sure volume was set high enough or not muted?
...check any other sources of muting? My keyboard has volume and muting controls on it.
...make sure your sound card is showing up ok in device manager?
...reinstall sound card drivers?
...make sure the sound card is still active in the BIOS if it is onboard the motherboard?
i immediately tried the first 3 things when the problem occured. i had recently moved and was setting up my stereo/tv/computer. i realized i forgot a stereo cord when i went to hook up the comp & stereo so i used a A/V cord with the video cord not used. stupidly i had all three, comp/stereo/tv, turned on when i did this. once i connected the second jack from the stereo to the computer there was a loud snap sound and the TV went black. i could also get no sound from the computer, through the stereo speakers and then the speakers the comp came with. nothing. hooked up a new tv and the stereo speakers worked fine. plug the tv out into the cd in on the stereo (which the comp had been using) and got fine sound. figured i blew up only the computer audio out and the tv. everything else has worked fine.