Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Computer Problems, HELP!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer Problems, HELP!

Old 08-28-06, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer Problems, HELP!

My MIL and FIL got a computer awhile back. They are VERY computer illeterate. They hardly go online and dont use it very much.

well recently we set up a favorites list online for them so they can go to where they want but other then those favorites dont navigate the internet. They still dont check their email, we do it for them. so the only time they are online is to go to a favorites we have set up.

My MIL likes to play games from a disc, not online. well we bought her a new game and set it up for her. it worked fine for awhile and then started locking up on her (as she described it), where she would need to open the disc drive move the disc and shut it for the game to continue play. It kept saying she should take off any virus programs before running but seh didnt know how to so we went out to show her how to shut off the virus protection and turn it back on. She said after we shut off the virus protection it didnt lock up anymore and she played her game quite a bit this past Friday. Then she went to shut off the computer, never went online that day at all.

Well then on Saturday she went to start up the computer and nothing would come up, it was like they were starting it for the FIRST time ever. They needed to pick their time zone and go through the whole set up process. My dh went out to help them with this. My dh got the main things set up, and my MIL games loaded in, but couldnt get internet as they use netscape and they had no internet connection to download the software. They were going to sign up for the AOL free trial but that said it was already used as they used it when they first got the computer (which was at least some sign that they had used the computer before).

So we havent done anything with it since Saturday. My MIL went to start it up today to see how it would load. She said it looked like it was loading normal and then a box came up that says "recovery Media Creator: Want to keep your Windows XP up to date.... Click here to learn about your machines productive support". She didnt do anything just called me. She said her game also popped up to load too after that did. So it loaded fine except for that recover media creator.

So any ideas what could have happened? Anyone know what the recovery media creator is or did it just pop up to make a back up disc since we just reloaded everything in from the start?

We are not very computer knowledgeable either, we know what we need to know and that is about it.

Just curious if anyone had any ideas or thoughts. Thanks for any input you can give.