Reload this Page >

New harddrive for laptop question...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-27-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, I'm posting this from my cell, please bear with me. ok, i have a very nice compaq laptop that is about 2 years old. the hard drive just died. it was shakey at first but now it's not being detected. now, if i go to best buy, get a new notebook harddrive, and install it, i can go ahead and install the restore discs just like like it was a regular pc (that's what i am familiar with using ) Right? i just wanted to be sure i could just toss it in and start to install. thx
Old 08-27-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ah. it might be pretty difficult to change the laptop hard drive depending on the model. if you don't think you can do that, bb's tech should be able to do it (for a price of course - maybe 50 bucks i guess).

yes, the dell restore disc should install windows on the new hard drive just fine.
Old 08-28-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey,

I have access to my harddrive as far as removal goes -- that's no problem. But The symptoms were that it was making weird noises, it was very slow, and now there is no HD detected, so when i try to install from the restore CD, it says "no harddrive detected, win XP cannot be installed" I also got the blue screen that said serious error, begining physical memory dump... Now I can't boot to the HD at all. Does it sound like it's the harddrive failing?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 08-28-06, 11:58 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, it does sound like the hard drive is failing. You should be able to replace it if you get a drive with the same interface (PATA or SATA) and size. You might just want to open up cover that lets you get to the drive and make sure the drive is not loose from the connector. Then you can measure the drive too.

You might also want to look for a drive that has similar power requirements or better. Drives that require more power will give you less battery time.

Due to the blue screen I would check the memory to make sure it's seated well too.
Old 08-30-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello,

Ok, I got as new WesternDigital Scorpio EIDE hard drive. When I opened the box it said that this drive was for professional installation only and didn't come with any software, drivers, boot disc, etc... So that suprised me....

When I put it in my laptop it wasn't recognized at all -- BIOS didn't see it or anything. Sooo... I took it out, and put the new one back in, and it was recognized instantly. Although, after trying to format from the WIN XP resore CD, at the end, it said could not format or create partitions because the drive is damaged.

So, it looks like it may be the harddrive afterall, and not anything else, BUT, after i take the scorpio drive back, I want to get another "non professional" drive. Meaning, I want one that has the driver CD with them So i can format right away, then install using the restore CD.

Any ideas why the scorpio drive didn't get recognized at all? I thought any off the shelf hard drive would work. How do i know if my current drive is PATA or SATA? My Compaq Presario model is R3140US if that helps.

So, hinging upon any feedback you all give me, I plan on getting a new laptop harddrive from bestbuy tonight and I am gonna make sure it has driver discs. Also, I will see about the PATA or SATA after you respond...

Thanks a ton!,

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 08-30-06 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-01-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey,

It seems that no off the shelf drives will work in the compaq. None of them are recognized -- only the original is recognized. Is there some compay proprietary drive?

Matt!
Old 09-01-06, 03:29 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Never heard of that but I wouldn't put it past Compaq, the former king of proprietary hardware.
Old 09-03-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally...

Hey all,

Ok, I finally took a minute to take a close look at the drive(s). The compaq one has an adapter on it that changes the male pins of the drive to female-slot like connectors. That adapter slides off and seats on the pins of the new drive.... It worked perfectly after that!

Thanks for your input,

Matt!

Last edited by KillerQ; 09-03-06 at 09:39 AM.