Reload this Page >

Recommend me a power supply

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-27-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My HD went kaput and i've decided to replace it along with some other things in my (other) computer, but i've also decided to get another case and replace the current power supply (which is 4 years old along with the PC).

I guess my first question would be if it is ok to put a power supply in this computer that is rated higher than the one in it now. Currently it has a 200w P/S but i was contemplating something more like 300 or 350w (as i plan to add some fans to the new case).

My next question would be: What is a good power supply in the sub-$100 range? I'm kind of on a budget and i can't really afford to drop alot on this computer (if i could i would have bought a new one).

The computer i'm fixing is a 4 year old HP desktop P3 1.5ghz. I'm not planning on doing anything fancy with the machine like add lights, SLI graphics cards, or anything that will generate alot of heat. I would like to buy a P/S that i can use currently and possibly in the future when i can afford to build a computer myself.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No problem at all with adding more power, actually it's recommended if you're planning on upgrading. Can't help you with any particular recommendations, though I've never had problems with Antec's.
Old 08-27-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had a couple Antec and have liked them. I'd think for what you are looking for, an Antec SmartPower would probably be sufficient at less then $50. For what you have, a $100 supply is going to be overkill.

The only thing I don't know about is if the HP's are fully conforming to ATX standards. I thought that sometimes the large OEM's like Dell, HP, etc. used their own proprietary powersupplies and motherboard connectors. I could be way wrong though on that.
Old 08-27-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a word of warning. I upgraded my HP PC and the new 520W power supply I used works great when the computer is running, but when I shut it down the motherboard does not register it correctly. The PC is technically off, but the processor fan starts running full speed and the power light stays on.

Never have solved this issue so when I power down I have to also kill the power supply with the switch in the back. I haven't run across any other power related problems and didn't want to hassle with finding a new supply since I picked that one up really cheap so I have just dealt with it. More power is always a good thing though so I would definitely upgrade to at least 350W.
Old 08-27-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UWSarge
I've had a couple Antec and have liked them. I'd think for what you are looking for, an Antec SmartPower would probably be sufficient at less then $50. For what you have, a $100 supply is going to be overkill.
Is THIS the power supply you are referring to?

Problem with that one is it has SATA connectors and my HD used an IDE connector. Arent SATA and IDE connectors different?

I'm happy i don't have to drop $100 on a power supply as i didnt really want to spend that much but i'd also like a good power supply that won't fry my motherboard.

I find not knowing what is good equipment is far more intimidating than never building a compter before.

The only thing I don't know about is if the HP's are fully conforming to ATX standards. I thought that sometimes the large OEM's like Dell, HP, etc. used their own proprietary powersupplies and motherboard connectors. I could be way wrong though on that.
I know to avoid Dell computers as i've been told they do have proprietary parts (or used to) and i don't remember if it's Dell or Gateway that uses BTX boards (or so i was told).

Last edited by UAIOE; 08-28-06 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-28-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PC Power & Cooling's entry level PSUs. For around $200, you can get something which is built to last and won't surprise you. But if you're really cheap, you can get a SILENCER 310 ATX for $49.

Btw, I have a Quad-SLi and it's so quiet and cool (literally), it's amazing. Runs anything I throw at it.

Side Note: PCP&C do make Dell-conformed PSUs so you can get a much higher quality PSU for your Dell system.
Old 08-28-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Is THIS the power supply you are referring to?

Problem with that one is it has SATA connectors and my HD used an IDE connector. Arent SATA and IDE connectors different?
Something like that can still work. It lists 6 standard power connectors which should be enough for your CD-ROMs/Hard drives. The SATA connectors could be used when you upgrade at some point to SATA drives.
Old 08-28-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
PC Power & Cooling's entry level PSUs. For around $200, you can get something which is built to last and won't surprise you. But if you're really cheap, you can get a SILENCER 310 ATX for $49.
Yikes. "Really cheap" is $50 for a PS ? I'd think that $50 is quite reasonable for the average consumer that isn't running SLI (or something like a standalone 7900 vid card), several drives, or anything else that will really push the power requirements of the system. Really cheap is the ~$20 supplies you can buy, or the "included" PS with a cheap case, or what you see in a mass market OEM system (aka. Dell/HP).
Old 08-28-06, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. $200 is very high end for PSU.

The #1 thing to keep in mind is to buy from a reputable company. The cheap mfgs often rebadge with new brand names and almost never live up to their supposed power ratings. It doesn't matter if the PSU is rated for 800W, if you don't recognize the company, there is no telling what it can really do.

Here are some good brands: Antec, Cooler Master, Enermax, Fortron, I-Star, Hiper, OCZ, Seasonic, Silverstone, Sparkle, Sunbeamtech, PC Power and Cooling, Tagan, Vantec, XClio, Zippy
Old 08-31-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought X-connect 500 watt power supply today. Its 19.99 after the 50.00 rebate. My only complaint is cables. The connector ends are huge and the cables are kind of stiff. If you have smallish computer you probably would not want this as you probably wont be able to use the cables unless you modify them.

http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos...duct_id=230417
Old 09-01-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like a decent power supply but i'm not overly handy with modifing cables.

I did end up getting that Antec SmartPower power supply i linked to earlier (odd enough it arrived while i was typing this out). Hopefully it works out for me.