Reload this Page >

FTP program that does all this?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-26-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a ftp program for my father; he says he wants one that meets the following criteria:

- one that has "checkpoint restart" or something...basically letting you continue a transfer if the connection gets cut or whatever
- an ftp program that's "secure", encrypted or whatever, with passwords and stuff (like Secure FTP?)
- he wants to know if there are any that can be run from dos....not sure about that one
- one that can be automated? agian I'm not sure about this one, whether he's talking about an automated feature in the program itself or something that can be started by windows scheduler

...any help?
Old 08-26-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you talking about a client or a server?

Check out Filezilla (which comes as either a client or a server). It supports file resume, SFTP, SSL, and GSS for secure connections, and I'm not sure what "automated" means, but it can queue up files for Xfer and has a little connection manager to remember sites w/uname and pwds. I am unsure of it's cmdline ability.

If DOS usage and automation/scripting are very important than check out Kermit (http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html). It's more than just an FTP client, but it's scriptable and can be fully controlled from the cmdline (since it's a unix port).
Old 09-22-06, 12:46 PM

Another vote for FileZilla. It does all the secure file transfer (SFTP, SSL, SSH, etc) plus it can resume transfers from where downloading/uploading left off. You can automate it so that it automatically resumes instead of asking what you want (the default). It has a queue so you can just queue up your uploads/downloads and walk away.
Old 09-22-06, 01:07 PM

resuming depends on the settings of the server's owner
Old 09-23-06, 02:58 PM
lxl

Also, real DOS is very different from DOS prompt in Windows.

wget is a very good, automated ftp tool (it supports http:// too), all the major net-install linux distros use it to download packages.