Quick help needed on new harddrive install

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-25-06, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I just bought a 400 gb seagate drive and i want to use it as a slave drive to the one I have already installed.

The problem is, I also have a DVD drive and a CD burner (2 separate drives).

So, me being no computer guru, when i popped open the case, i saw the IDE cable sticking out of the motherboard on one end, and connecting to one of the drives midway (slave?) and at the end, connecting to the other drive.

So, the manual says to connect the IDE cable to the new harddrive, but I don't understand how to do this without disabling either the DVD drive or the CD burner because the IDE cable only has two connections right?

One other thing to note: i have a dell 9100 and instead of only having the traditional drive bays where you can slide in the hadr drive, they have ones at the bottom too . . . i already slid in my hard drive and it fits, so I'm assuming it should be ok there? Provided the IDE cable can wind it's way properly inside the computer.

All right. can anyone help me? Thanks!
Old 08-25-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you have a second IDE Cable slot on the motherboard? Most motherboards support two IDE cables that can each support two devices. Usually you hook up two HDDs to one and two disc drives to the other. The slots are usually right next to each other with the floppy drive cable right next to them. I'm not familar with this model Dell though.

Last edited by darkside; 08-25-06 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-25-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, since you have three IDE devices, one of your cables probably only has one connector on it. If your two optical drives are on one cable, you should be able to trace the one connected to your current HD. It may only have a single connector on it, so you may have to replace it with a double cable.
Old 08-27-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm. the harddrive that is already in my computer doesn't seem to be connected to any IDE cable . . . the IDE cable connected to my motherboard seems only to be connected to the two optical drives. So...what should I do? Buy a an IDE cable that has 3 connectors and replace the one that's in there now so i can connect the two optical drives with my new (slave) drive? Maybe I'll take a picture. It'll make it all clearer.
Old 08-27-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So, as you can see from the 2nd pic, you can slide in a harddrive down there instead of where they are normally. What you see there is the new hard drive i bought. I've already slid it in there, but again, the problem with IDE cables. Basically, what's the best way to hook it up? Thanks!
Old 08-27-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems to me that your HD have SATA interface. The new one however is parallel ATA.
I don't think there is an IDE cable with three connectors, but if you have one free SATA connector in your motherboard I think there's PATA to SATA connector out there somewhere. From the pics it looks like your mobo has four total, and three of them free.
Old 08-27-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or you could also exchange your new drive to SATA one. You'll need to add in a few more bucks for the same drive, but it's also a faster drive.
Old 08-28-06, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, should I just return the HD and get a SATA drive? I'm assuming that blue cable from my current harddrive, going into the motherboard is a SATA cable and that those other 3 openings are all SATA ports? So, I'd just have to connect a SATA HD via similar cable to the MOBO, connect the power supply, and it should work?
Old 08-28-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep. You should also check if the power supply have a free SATA power plug. They are quite different from standard power plug, but I think there are converters available.