Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Making a DVD for the first time, and I'm having problems.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-23-06, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 100 pack of 120min DVD-Rs and I tried to write a movie on one of them, but when I played it on my DVD players it cut off the movie. This is especially annoying because it was one with subtitles. I'm using the software that came with my computer(sonic myDVD plus). Is there any way I can fix this? thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-06, 12:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this a movie you made yourself?
Old 08-23-06, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by X
Is this a movie you made yourself?
Sort of. Its a home-made movie I got G-mailed to me by a friend from overseas. I'm trying to write it so I can watch it on my TV but I cant because I cant see the subtitles properly. Is this because of the software I'm using? because whenever I try to watch it on the computer it has the subtitles and everything, but when I try it on the TV it cuts off the subs.
Old 08-23-06, 03:13 PM
X
Administrator

Is it cutting off the subtitles because they're below the picture and being cut off? Or are the subtitles just being removed?
Old 08-23-06, 03:13 PM

it's called overscan. google it. in short, there's nothing you can do. either watch it on pc, use a program to add in a border or see if you adjust your tv to shrink the screen and hope they show up.
Old 08-23-06, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by X
Is it cutting off the subtitles because they're below the picture and being cut off? Or are the subtitles just being removed?
Its cutting the words on the bottom in half. So for example it could have text like this:

random text

And that text but if its alot of things that someone is saying it will keep the top text and cut the bottom text like this:

More random text, with text
underneath it.

The text underneath would end up being cut, while the one on top stays there.

If it is overscan, is there any programs I can use to fix it?

Last edited by lazerblade22; 08-23-06 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-23-06, 03:46 PM
X
Administrator

Sounds like overscan.

You really should get into the service menu of your TV, write down all the settings, then adjust its overscan. What brand/model TV do you have?
Old 08-23-06, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by X
Sounds like overscan.

You really should get into the service menu of your TV, write down all the settings, then adjust its overscan. What brand/model TV do you have?
I have 2 different TVs and it does it on both. But the one that does it the least is my sony grand wega LCD TV.
Old 08-23-06, 04:24 PM
X
Administrator

How are you hooked up to your Sony LCD? You shouldn't be getting that much overscan. If you are getting that from using a standalone DVD player you really need to adjust the Sony for less overscan. An LCD should not be giving you overscan.

A calibration disc such as Avia can help set it with its patterns, but you'll still need to know how to adjust the TV. There should be regular settings in the TV or in its service menu. You might find how to access the service menu by doing a Google search.
Old 08-23-06, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by X
How are you hooked up to your Sony LCD? You shouldn't be getting that much overscan. If you are getting that from using a standalone DVD player you really need to adjust the Sony for less overscan. An LCD should not be giving you overscan.

A calibration disc such as Avia can help set it with its patterns, but you'll still need to know how to adjust the TV. There should be regular settings in the TV or in its service menu. You might find how to access the service menu by doing a Google search.
I'm using my PS2. My standalone DVD player is hooked up to my 27 inch tv, and the overscan is worse on there. There isnt anything that I can do in the TV menu on both TVs to make it any better. isnt there any way I can format the movie to fit my screen through software?
Old 08-24-06, 08:53 AM

use avisynth. or a program that lets you crop the movie if you don't mind that route