Reload this Page >

Just got Dual Flat Screens at work; display questions inside

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-22-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They just upgraded my system to 2 17" Optiquest Q7s. They put an nVidia Quadro NVS 280 (PCI) on it. I figured out how to make it that if I had a hi-res pic to display it across the two. Is there a way to have 2 different wallpapers for each screen? nView is currently set to "Dual View".

Thanks.
Old 08-22-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

i have dual monitors at home and work.. with just the windows setup, i didnt have much luck having seperate backgrounds... but after installing the video card software, it was part of their configuration package.

Last edited by twikoff; 08-22-06 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-22-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My laptop's nVidia software (nView Properties) supports different backgrounds for each monitor. At the very worst you could merge your wallpapers into one super-image that spanned the total width.
Old 08-22-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured it out, but for some reason, when I configure it thru nView Properties, it messes up the desktop. The attached monitor is ok, but the primary display suddenly becomes tiled. Then when I try to fix it thru Display Properties, it makes BOTH screens tiled with both images showing on both monitors. Weird. I'll try to post pics to further explain this.
Old 08-22-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You should get this program http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

I have dual monitors at home and work and this is an excellent program for it. Allows you to have a seperate taskbar in the other monitor and makes wallpaper and such very easy.
Old 08-23-06, 12:04 AM

I 2nd the ultramon program it also adds buttons/context menus to windows that let you send the other window directly to the other monitor or strech it across both
Old 08-23-06, 03:00 PM

Will ultramon also help you configure certain programs to always open on the 2nd screen? That's the main feature I'm looking for...
Old 08-23-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flyerman85
I 2nd the ultramon program it also adds buttons/context menus to windows that let you send the other window directly to the other monitor or strech it across both
That and the taskbar in the second screen are the best features from Ultramon imo, or at least the only 2 features I use.

I have Ultramon version 2.2 and I noticed that Ultramon recompresses the wallpaper if you used it to manage your wallpapers. This is pretty shitty imo because the wallpaper now looks like shit.

I will check tomorrow at work if Ultramon has a feature to default certain apps to a specific screen.
Old 08-23-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alas, non-Admin rights prevent me from installing the damn thing. Thanks anyway guys. I can live using just nView. The get around was whichever wallpaper I use has to be the exact size as my desktop resolution.
Old 08-24-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Totally agree and highly recommend ultramon. Running dual 21's here and wouldn't do so w/out it!
Old 08-24-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why Microsoft hasn't successfully copied Apple's multiple monitor support, I'll never understand. They've had 20 years now to try to get it right, and third party solutions are still required to do something as simple as displaying different wallpapers.
Old 08-25-06, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
Will ultramon also help you configure certain programs to always open on the 2nd screen? That's the main feature I'm looking for...
nView allows you to do this.

In the nView Desktop Manager, go to the Applications tab. Add the specific application(s) you are interested in making open on the 2nd screen. Then go into the Individual Settings for each application that you added and change the "Open windows on display" option to the 2nd screen.

nView also likes to crash and from time to time and trashes the toolbar buttons that it adds to the title bar of each window, but I digress.
Old 08-25-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

On my monitors, programs always open up on the monitor where they were last at.