Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about dying cable modems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-21-06, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past couple of years, I have had 2 cable modems die on me. The first one was a Motorola SB5100. After it died after nearly 2 years of service, I had it replaced on warranty with a Motorola SB5120. The second modem croaked roughly after 2 months of service. Both times when the modem dies, it no longer manages to establish a SEND connection with the cable network. (POWER and RECEIVE LED lights are solid, but the SEND light flashes nonstop, and the ONLINE LED never even comes on.)

I've asked both my cable provider and Motorola what might be causing the modems to die. My cable provider couldn't provide a definitive answer. Nor could Motorola. My cable modem is connected to a Belkin gold series surge protector for both its AC power and its coaxial signal. From there, the coaxial cable connects to the wall connector. The wall connector is connected to internal coax cabling, which finally connects to the cable lead from the cable box. There's a total of 2 coax couplers and the coax surge suppressor along the signal path.

Here's the modem's web-based utility for checking its status. I've pasted the contents of its Signal page.

Signal Page
-----------
Downstream Value
Frequency 117000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB
QAM QAM256
Network Access Control Object OFF
Power Level 0 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 24300000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 0
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 53 dBmV
--------------

I'm completely clueless to what is causing the cable modems to die. The cable provider's tech support people have claimed that they have not experienced anything like it. In fact, their testimonies claim that they have plenty of Motorola Surfboard modems, even old ones, that have provided them with years and years of reliable service. Am I just unlucky to receive the modems that shouldn't have passed quality control? Is there something wrong with my house wiring? I can't afford to keep on replacing modems.

Thanks in advance for the help.