Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question About Getting a New iPod and Using Old iTunes Playlist...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-19-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, here's the situation...

I have an iPod already. My mom is interested in having one too for podcasts like NPR. I bought my iPod last year and it's the color one that holds 5,000 songs.

Now, what she wants to do is buy the video iPod, give that to me, and she can use the one that I have (because I listen to a lot of music).

Now, if I open my brand new video iPod, hook it up to my laptop and open iTunes, will all my music that's already on iTunes upload into my new video iPod (even though for the past year, it's been uploading into my color iPod?)?

And..how do I get all the music off my original iPod so that it's completely clean, and be able to put new music/podcasts onto it?

And another quick Q...can you have an iTunes library for two iPods on the same computer? Or do you need one iPod/iTunes per computer?

Thanks. Hopefully that made sense.
Old 08-20-06, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Now, if I open my brand new video iPod, hook it up to my laptop and open iTunes, will all my music that's already on iTunes upload into my new video iPod (even though for the past year, it's been uploading into my color iPod?)?
You'll have to open the new ipod's options and select your auto-update options. If you don't use auto-update, drag and drop the songs to your ipod.

And..how do I get all the music off my original iPod so that it's completely clean, and be able to put new music/podcasts onto it?
Reformat it, and do like you did above. Or, under ipod options, choose manually update songs/playlists. Select all of the songs, and clear them. Do the same with the ipod playlists. Then, start over like your first question.

And another quick Q...can you have an iTunes library for two iPods on the same computer? Or do you need one iPod/iTunes per computer?
You can use the same library for both itunes. Just check the ipod options for each ipod, and determine that the right playlists are being updated.

I suggest creating a new folder for your mother, and put all of her playlists in there. Then, under the ipod options, automatically update those playlists.
Old 08-20-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info.

So when you say, "go under iPod options..." Does that mean, go into iTunes, click Preferences, click iPod, and there should be a button there that states, "iPod options"

Is that what you mean? Or is "iPod options" actually in a submenu of the actual iPod itself?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, I don't have itunes in front of me, so I'm kind of winging it.

If your ipod is plugged in, it will be under the preferences. You can also right click on the ipod (in itunes), and choose the options from there.